Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to get visitors to leave?  (Read 8082 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to get visitors to leave?
« on: May 07, 2016, 06:28:09 am »

I'd like to kick the current lot of loiters out and replace them with some fresh blood, but I'd like to do that in a civilized manner, not by simply kill them (using direct or indirect means), i.e. I want them to leave my embark and do so alive.

I've set the visitors cap to 0, which throttles the fresh blood, but it has no effect on the current set of loiters. I tried to set the locations to citizens and long term residents only, but that just causes the buggers to stand around without any activity.

My oldest loiters seem to have been glued to the (dry) bar for over 4 years, so they're definitely due for a change of scenery.

Edit:
After waiting 3 months with all facilities blocked for visitors without anyone leaving I caved in and started operation GREEN PAINT.
A new area was dug out fairly far from the rest and was set up as the original tavern, open to all. At the same time, the area associated with the original tavern was reassociated with a new tavern open to residents only. The open tavern was gradually given 3 tavern keepers, but it took a season or so of praying to strengthen the dorfs for the task (the 3:rd one has never been seen in that tavern). In less than a season 4 over staying visitors have had their livers pickled and another 10 have left. Three of the pickled ones left tattered clothing behind as a clear sign of their over stay.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:00:21 am by PatrikLundell »

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to get visitors to leave?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:03:51 pm »

That's the way most barflys I know want to go out.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:54:01 pm »

You can order your military to attack guests, with no apparent repercussions. Or at least, I have killed something like 80 guests now and they still arrive in swarms in my current fort. It is a good way to jump-start your library, since poets and bards often carry books.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »

You can order your military to attack guests, with no apparent repercussions. Or at least, I have killed something like 80 guests now and they still arrive in swarms in my current fort. It is a good way to jump-start your library, since poets and bards often carry books.
Since when did that become compatible with ".. but I'd like to do that in a civilized manner, not by simply kill them (using direct or indirect means), i.e. I want them to leave my embark and do so alive."?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »

Oh  :-[ I just jumped to the bulk of the text. Sorry.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »

To be fair, you could assign one dwarf to a unit and have him/her "duel" each of your rude guests to death because they disrespected your fortress by taking advantage of its hospitality.  That sound fairly civilized to me...and actually I think I am going to start doing that now!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:37:21 pm »

If you have mercenaries then it is complicated.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 01:55:30 am »

Sure, the mercs sometimes have their internal little loyalty cascades and slaughter each other after a bard round-up, but its always just mercs killing each other, or so far has been. I get 3-4 visitors a week, 40% mercs, 50% poets, 10% scholars. If a few mercs kill each other, its no big deal. I have 3 squads, 9 mercs + 1 citizen to lead, and despite the routine bard killings causing some mercs to murder each other, I have never been lacking in replacements.

Honestly, the only time it was annoying was when a merc spent 6 months bashing another over the head while the victim was KOed in the hospital. His weapon couldn't penetrate the guy's helmet so he just sat there trying forever.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 06:22:14 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Where mass murder is a great way to promote literacy and scholarship.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 08:01:47 am »

You might consider disabling all rooms/zones tied to the tavern your visitors are stuck in - or, more drastically, deleting the tavern location and replacing it. That might "unglue" your loiterers from your site.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:47:49 am »

I'd strongly recommend against deleting the location objects, since the visitors explicitly came to visit those, but zones can probably be manipulated. I've actually managed to get rid of all but two of the visitors by turning off visiting, although it took a fair while. The two loiterers are probably too bugged (when areas are enabled they just drift around but never display any activities).

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:55:02 am »

Since when did that become compatible with ".. but I'd like to do that in a civilized manner, not by simply kill them (using direct or indirect means), i.e. I want them to leave my embark and do so alive."?

What?  That's dwarfly civilized.  "Urist, you son of a purring maggot!  Long time, no see!"  Stab, stab.  "Now, pick up your left arm and get back to work.  That Urist, what a bleeder...  Ha!"

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:26:38 am »

Does attacking guests without killing them make them leave? If so, you could make a one-dwarf bouncer squad armed with an adamantine hammer or something silly like that, and just have him uselessly ding the endless guests until they run off.

Seems plenty civilized by dwarf standards.

My other ideas involved a tavern placed on a retractable bridge and a pool of vampire blood, but those are all varying degrees of uncivilized.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:06 am »

Guests attacking each other does not make either of them leave, so I very much doubt risking my citizens would work (those attacked will usually fight back).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:59:34 am »

Hmm only other idea I can think of is combining the silk farm with the public tavern. Hide some GCS behind fortifications and a drawbridge, spook off overly persistent guests with surprise web attack and harvest vomit and booze encrusted webs!

Ok there is probably no way that is actually going to work for 100%, but at the very least it should be good for a laugh.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!