Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siegelabored - The Unexpected  (Read 664 times)

AdeptusEldritchus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Needs Cthulhu to get through the working day
    • View Profile
Siegelabored - The Unexpected
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:01 pm »

My fortress of Siegelabored was in its 3rd year, and things were going well. My miners had unveiled large veins of precious ores, and attacks by kobolds were infrequent. I didn't have a military, which made the sudden appearance of a weregecko scary, but it left the map after killing a cow, and all seemed right. Merchants arrived in fall, and I began preparing to trade.

Then he came.

An ettin spawned on the hill over my fortress. I had cut out most of the slopes going to the fortress, but it ran down the two slopes on the world border as the merchants were preparing to make negotiations. I could only watch helplessly in between popups as the ettin approached the steady stream of dwarves going back and forth from the wood piles to crafting areas. Finally, with the ettin near the entrance, and me unsure if it was trapavoid or not, the last popup appeared.

"We look forward to trading with you in the future."
I almost cried.

Suddenly, two dwarves accosted the ettin near the fort entrance. They didn't have any combat skills; one was a miner, the other a farmer. But they attacked the ettin, and in a few seconds, it was a lifeless corpse. I looked in at the combat reports, and they didn't have a single injury! Even with its extra head, the ettin was no match for two determined dwarves.

Siegelabored continued, now with a new military. But I never forgot the brave dwarves who had given their all to defend their home, and emerged victorious.
"I've realized that there are only two things that matter. Power - as much as you can muster - and style. And in a pinch...style can slide."
- Xykon