Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video-game pit fights  (Read 1143 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Video-game pit fights
« on: June 24, 2016, 07:01:09 am »

The aim of the game is to respond to the player above with the winner and reasoning. You don't have to go into the depth I did in the example, I got carried away. The teams should be in a video game, but I'm fine with characters from most fictional works (so long as a quick wikipedia will give you enough information about them to assess who would win). Most mainstream things are fine, but no ISIS vs Al Qaeda - grade stuff.

For example

Player 1: Blue team from the HALOverse versus all the main characters from the CODverses. They would all be armed with standard-issue weaponry; MAG5 assault rifles + Magnums (The HALO:CE ones) and of course their suits. The MCs from COD would be armed with their standard armor and weaponry, or standard-issue gear (M4 carbines SOPMOD)

Player 2: I think that Blue team would win because, despite an overwhelming numerical disadvantage, the Spartan IIs were trained as soldiers at the age of six, and if they all aged and no-one died until this theoretical encounter, they would be biologically about 41 years old; 35 straight years of combat. Therefore the Blue Team has the advantage of experience. Equipment is another factor. Barring AW Lasers, nearly all COD weapons would have trouble penetrating MJOLNIR armor. MJOLNIR armor gives Chief the equipment he needs to flip a Scorpion tank right-way-up, giving the Spartans a lot of brute strength. AW lasers would be the most feasible option to kill Blue Team, after the MJOLNIR energy shields get worn down.
Now let's move on to CQC, as previously stated, Blue team has enough strength to flip a tank, and knives to boot. The Spartans would win in CQC nearly every time.
Another issue that the MCs from the CODverse would face is trust. Assuming that Makarov and Price could get their shit together and fight side-by-side, there would still be trust issues between them, further destabilising leadership. Leadership is another point: Blue team has a clearly defined leader (Master Chief) whereas the CODverse has many factions with many leaders, and all thrown into the same team, there would likely be a power struggle for 'supreme commander'.
The only way I can see the CODverse winning is by leading the SPARTANs to water and drowning them/starving them. The MJOLNIR suits are heavy and dense enough to sink. Swimming in regular boots is hard enough in real life, imagine trying to do that in ultraheavy power armor. After the Spartan's air supply runs out, they would suffocate.
My scenario is: Armok vs Thor?

OK, so now that the Examples are done, let's get to it.

Scenario: Scorpion Main Battle Tank from HALO (piloted by marines trained to operate it) vs Tiger II (War Thunder, COD, Brothers in Arms, take your pick) (Piloted by trained Panzer Crew of WW2). This assumes that the Scorpion has been taken to WW2-era times. Take your pick of WW2 battlefields
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Video-game pit fights
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:20:35 am »

Sadly, I dont really know the Haloverse.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:19:14 pm »

Bump.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:25 am »

Battle is Stalingrad. Game is War Thunder.

I think the Tiger would win in an urban environment. The Scorpion may outgun it or maybe even outrun it, but it's too wide for proper urban combat situations. However if we were to say battle for Kursk, or even the battles for Normandy after D-day, the Scorpion would almost definitely win on a scale of litterally craterizing the Tigers with that higher vantage.

Nathan Drake (Uncharted) vs Nathan Hale (Resistance: Fall of Man/Resistance 2)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:17:12 am »

Quickly wikipediaing Resistance, looks it has a lot of alien tech, so in a straight up fight, any gear the protagonist of Resistance would have would provide a massive advantage.  Plus, apparently he has minor superhuman strength and healing, so there's that.

Nathan Drake's only real advantage would be his free-running skills, but that would only give him an advantage in running away, which he can't really do forever ( no way for him to gain any real advantage by disengaging ), he'd eventually have to turn and face the physically superior and superior armed Hale. 

WINNER: Nathan Hale

Next: Sans ( from Undertale ) vs Gravelord Nito ( from Dark Souls )

This game should have a poll system, so that there can be multiple votes and arguments for one round, and then after a certain period of time, a winner's decided.  Does this seem like a good idea?

Plus it avoids the pitfall of requiring the next person to have decent knowledge of both characters.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »

bump

I don't know how to set up such a system, as it would require constant updating and taking up half the page.