Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano Island: Boring?  (Read 1246 times)

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano Island: Boring?
« on: December 16, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

I read the volcanoes and named mountains tended to be the most exciting as far as resources, pits, chasms, etc. So I tried my first serious volcano island for the guaranteed magma vent. Once I got past the initial engineering challenge of punching a few holes in the aquifer (one for stairs and the other for magma), it seemed pretty dull. Seems that there are no elven or human traders. No kobolds, no goblins. Just a quiet, flat island with only a tiger here and there and the annual dwarven caravan. And so far it seems pretty resource poor. Can't find much more than copper and silver. No iron, but lots of flux (i guess this is often the case.)

I didn't go for a named mountain because I couldn't find one that was at all settleable. They all seem to be buried deep in maintain ranges.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Island: Boring?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

What do you expect from an isolated island, when there are no boats in the game yet?
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Mountains are the most exiting. Islands, however, are not. Islands are anti-mountains.

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »

I'll let you know if I can find a horrifying, undead-filled sea for your next volcanic island. One with a chasm, preferably, though I'm not sure what I'll find without reveal.exe.
 Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

Isn't the island square itself usually ocean-free? And the bordering squares wouldn't likely have magma.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

I don't know why people say named mountains are interesting, I don't know that it's even possible to settle on them and if it is, it's incredibly ultra rare. Anyway I'm pretty sure that every mountain (and volcano) is named and it's just the peak that shows it, the other name is the name of the whole mountain range.

any mountain tile on the middle map has fun stuff underground in some of the squares. some of the underground fun stuff is more rare then others, of course, but if you pick a mountain on the middle and the whole screen on the left you will have lots of fun stuff (and lots of lag). As I understand it, volcanoes (red ^) in the middle screen count as mountains. I have never tested it, but multiple people have reported various fun stuff there.

Every other type of biome will be boring underground. some might have nice metals, some might have junk, but none of them will have any fun stuff.

so starting on the volcano tile on the island might give you more interesting stuff. Otherwise, yes the island will be boring.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

There's always that volcano at the center, but if you MUST have a coastal province and magma...

Anyways, I'll keep an eye in my daily seeds for a particulary nasty site, but here's my current finds.

Title: DEC
Seed: 12162007

You'll find your "Torch of Prophets" surrounded by the Joyous Wilds of "The Luxurious Mirthful Swamps", surrounded by the Terrifying "Ocean of Jackals". As well as the central volcano, you'll find several magma vents along the shore. If you can get underneath it, there's no aquifer underneath the ocean, so there may be a place to sneak by, though the heavy forestation should enable you to go straight through.

A brief overview of the location reveals slugmen, snailmen (whoo-hoo!), skeletal sturgeon, and a living hammerhead shark, for those who want to try building a very dangerous aquarium. Can you capture and then retrieve a shark without suffocating it? Perhaps a trap with shallow water... I'm curious if land-crawling skelesharks will come hunting for your people later. That should keep things interesting.

In hindsight, one of those 'magma vents' I was talking about was simply red sand. Lets see if the others are real. Ah, there we go. The east coast features a surface level magma vent. So... fire men, undead fishies, and sharks. For extra fun, flood your fortress to 3/7 or so, and leave it open to the outside.

Now that I've found that, the image (points to southern beach, with hammerhead sharks, but the eastern one comes with the magma vent):

I'll check my daily seeds as they come up to see if I can find an island with the center being terrifying, sinister, or haunted, but so far, they've been disgustingly perky.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer