Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia and Gear question  (Read 446 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia and Gear question
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:32:36 am »

If I have 10 dwarfs in my militia (just to use a random number) and I craft 10 entire sets of gear/weapons for them....

If I then craft an 11th full set do the dwarfs then dump current gear to equip new gear if it's better?

Do assigned uniforms affect this in any way?

Reason for asking: I have about 10 sets of extra gear (at least) and have a constant shuffle in DF Hack showing various militia members in various states of dress although they showed as fully geared/armed on earlier views.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia and Gear question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:04:50 pm »

Yes. If I understand it correctly, gear is assigned in militia rank order. This means that when you produce a masterworks item militiadwarf 1 drops the one currently owned and claims the masterworks one. Militiadwarf 2 picks up the just dropped higher quality gear after dropping the corresponding item... down the line.
Therefore, it might be better to produce a full set of masterworks of one kind of item at a time to limit the amount of undress among the militia. You can also produce the full new uniform of masterworks quality for the whole squad before upgrading all at once.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:35:24 pm »

Also, forging new items during a siege can be annoying because some dwarves may leave the fight to go put on the newly produced better item.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:32:08 am »

OK, so took that information and let a few months go by with no production.  This seems to have sorted out most of my issues.  Thanks guys.  Just can't catch/keep up with ammo production it appears as every marksdwarf is 13 ammo short.  LOL
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.