Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any comprehensive material on how combat mechanics work ?  (Read 722 times)

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to find it but all things like wiki etc are pretty vague and they don't even mention important stuff.

I have those questions:

First off how exactly effectiveness is calculated:

short sword:
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
long sword:
[ATTACK:EDGE:60000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]

Long sword has way more contact area and bit more penetration force modifier but how exactly that ratio works ?

Imo above case shows that long sword has 1,5 more penetration force but it needs to actually use it on 3 times more contact area which means that long sword compared to short sword can't really do much damage to internals.

is it 2:1 ? 1:1 ? 1:2 ?

Does sword:
[ATTACK:EDGE:2000:1000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
has two times less penetration (due to increased contact area) than this:
[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:1000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]

then there is spear like
[ATTACK:EDGE:7:1000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
which would be like 100times less conctact area...

I get that sword B will do more internal damage and A will do more external damage but ratio of how it works is completely unknown to me and can't seem to find anything useful on wiki.

Second problem:

[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]

I get that both of those are in ticks in adventure mode so there are 3 ticks of preparation and 3 tick of recovery from strike.
What i don't know is how it actually works especially if you consider you have various options of attack like heavy strike fast strike etc.

Does fast strike means that prepare and recover will be shorter ?
Does heavy strike mans that prepare and recover will be longer ?

if i change it to something like this :
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:1:1]
how does fast attack or heavy attack will work ? What is more i noticed that every weapons has 3:3 which really doesn't make any sense since Maul is big and heavy and dagger is small so naturally dagger should have faster attacks than maul.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any comprehensive material on how combat mechanics work ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:39 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142372.msg5577025#msg5577025

Does fast strike means that prepare and recover will be shorter ?
Does heavy strike mans that prepare and recover will be longer ?

if i change it to something like this :
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:1:1]
how does fast attack or heavy attack will work ? What is more i noticed that every weapons has 3:3 which really doesn't make any sense since Maul is big and heavy and dagger is small so naturally dagger should have faster attacks than maul.

1. Yes. IIRC it reduces prepare and recover by 1 while also reducing velocity.

2. Yes. IIRC it increases prepare and recover by 1 while increasing velocity.

3. Fast attack will be the same as normal attack but weaker, heavy attack will increase both PREPARE and RECOVER by 1.

From memory, so may not be reliable: wild attacks decrease prepare by 1 and increases recover by 3, increases velocity and reduces accuracy. Precise attacks increase prepare and recover by one or two and increases accuracy.

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:45 am »

thanks !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:49:09 pm »

I could very well be wrong, but regarding how contact area plays in: the contact area is the area force is spread out over. So larger contact area means less pressure applied per square cm, assuming the same force is applied. Velocity governs how fast the weapon is moving when it hits. But the variable youre missing to gauge force is mass of the weapon, which depends on how big the weapon is and the material it is made from. So a more massive weapon moving at the same velocity as a smaller one has more force, thus exerting more pressure over the same area of effect. Spears have great penetration because they have a tiny contact area and average velocity; by exerting high pressure over a small area they tend to pierce multiple layers of tissue.

However, spears are less likely to chop a limb off a big creature (sometimes you can take the foot off a kobold or turkey) Bigger contact area makes for better dismemberment. If memory serves, it depends on the size of the contact area in relation to the size of the limb, which is determined by the a ratio of the creatures total body size, for dwarfs that's 60,000cm^3, and the size of that limb in comparison to the size of the rest of the creature. Each body part gets a share of the total creature volume defined in the body parts definition. A great axe will have better chance of decapitating a cyclops than a short sword, because of the contact area difference. But the sword could skewer the brain, still.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.