Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What was the last 2D version?  (Read 1347 times)

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was the last 2D version?
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:57:08 am »

What was the last 2D version? I'd like to take a look!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: What was the last 2D version?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:16 am »

0.23.130.23a, according to this wiki page.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:26:20 am »

Be aware, though, that 0.23.130.23a has quite a lot of bugs in it, so if you're interested in playing it for any significant amount of time, you'll want to apply my bugfix patches - see the 23a:Known bugs and issues page on the Wiki for more information.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:04 pm »

oo, thanks, I was wondering about that.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:02 pm »

omg there there seems to be no scroll or map resizing I don't think I can cope. :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:11:58 pm »

omg there there seems to be no scroll or map resizing I don't think I can cope. :D
Lack of custom grid sizes and zooming should be the least of your worries - there are quite a lot of features most people take for granted which didn't exist back in 23a, so it might be a bit more difficult to play if you've only played recent versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »

Fluids are also REALLY WACKY in 2D.  There is no "down" for them to flow so they follow flow vs antiflow rules -- an open floodgate generates a "flow", a closed one generates an "antiflow", etc.  This doesn't work very well and has on occasion produced perma-flooding, perma-anti-flooding, and both -- resulting in the phrase "there are roving clumps of sentient lava outside".

Also, farming is extremely hard, there's no dirt so you have to make your own mud (which disappears every year), workflows tangle until your streets are overrun with garbage, dwarves don't realize when items they want to wear are on fire, and you can't forbid anything.

Read this nostalgia fort for a fuller rundown of the terrors :)

Opened it up to look around.

I don't know how to find dwarves!  (Q) doesn't do nearly as many things as it's supposed to!  Material selection is all out of whack!

Oh God, where the hell is my stocks screen?!!??!

We don't have any bones!  We don't have any doors, and I can't find the mason's shop!  We don't have an anvil!  I think?!  I can't find out!!!  We don't have any booze either, maybe!  For the love of Armok where are the farms?

We have a giant pile of very expensive gems and iron bars just laying around outside, but everybody's busy hauling [Idon'tknow!?!] how many corpses and a giant pile of clothing from near the magma river that I don't care to dwell on.  And even if I could get them to move stuff, I can't quantum-stock all these god damned rocks to put down a stockpile and I'm afraid of causing a cave in but why isn't the magma river collapsing then and oh god oh god I can't forbid things

I'm through the looking-glass and flying blind here.  I'd have an easier time of this if I'd never played DF before than I am now, trying to unlearn all the 3D stuff to play retrograde style.  This is going to be hard.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:01:54 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.