Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No water source on map?  (Read 665 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No water source on map?
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:19 pm »

My current embark doesn't have any surface water, and the underground lake doesn't seem to work as a water source. I have an injured dwarf demanding water; how can I get them some?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No water source on map?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:43:04 pm »

Build a well above the lake.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:20:18 pm »

Build a well above the lake.
Ah, thanks. The injured dwarf died not long after I posted, but at least this'll save the next one.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:26:43 am »

Unless the cavern is secured, a well above the lake provides a means for fliers (and possibly climbers) into the fortress. Thus, a safer way, when you've got time, is to build a cistern and lead water from the lake into it via an airlock (two raising drawbridges with space in between). You can also use a single drawbridge and a wall grate (which can be destroyed by building destroyers, and so isn't sufficient on its own). The cistern ought to be at least two tiles deep a the location where you draw water from it (i.e. the well and any water gathering zone).

If there is a path to the lake dwarves should take water from it provided the 'o'ptions for 'z'ones haven't been set to take water from zones only, without painting a water collection zone over (part of) the lake (and the edge of it).

If a dwarf is injured and resting in the hospital and starting to get dehydrated, but you don't have any water, you can try to remove the hospital zone (and deconstruct a traction rack, if the dorf is in a rack). This will wake the dorf up and may make it go/craw to get a drink or healthy booze. You can then put the dorf back into the rack when the thirst is sated. I had to do that on a map completely devoid of water, and after 3-4 sessions the injured dorf had actually recovered enough to be able to work again.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:59 am »

I built a pump stack in my last fort to transport water to a cistern. Though if I recall from a previous fort, if I set up a "water zone" by the lake's edge, the dwarves would go down and use it at need.