Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting a regular patrol position?  (Read 358 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting a regular patrol position?
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:27:31 pm »

I am incorporating a "watchtower" near my entrance with access only from underground to a second floor area surrounded by Fortifications and topped with a floor and a locked hatch cover (3rd floor).  Saw this in a let's play.

One thing he did (the LP guy) is set a standard "patrol" I guess where there was always an archer on station in that area and it rotated monthly as they went on/off duty.  He never had to set up a position/station/move order ever again.

So how do I do that?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting a regular patrol position?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »

Military screen schedules would be one way. Designate tower as a burrow, set archer squad to defend burrows all year round. Tweak by rotating active members for each month as required.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting a regular patrol position?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:03:33 am »

Navigate your cursor to the spot you want the Dwarves to guard and press 'N' to create a note on the point. Give it a descriptive name.

Go into the orders screen ('m' -> 's'). You're presented with a grid of months and squads. In each slot where you want that squad to be at the note-point in that month, press 'x' to delete the current order. Press 'o' to create a new order, then 'o' two more times to cycle to "Station." Press "Enter" to select the note-point that you created earlier. Use '+' and '-' to change the number of Dwarves included in the order, which should be equal to or less than the number of Dwarves in that squad. Press 'Shift' + 'Enter' to finalize the order.

There's also a "Patrol" order, which is slightly different. With Patrol, you select a series of note-points instead of just one, and your dwarves will wander back and forth along them.

The appointed squad will now spend the appointed month hanging out at the point. I usually make sure that every one of my squads spends a couple of months outside in the sun, both to guard the front door and to prevent them from become cave-adapted. Nothing worse than sending your best fighters out to mix it up only to have them puking all over the place.