Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Water wheels, screw pumps, and power  (Read 477 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Questions about Water wheels, screw pumps, and power
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:41:28 pm »

I am conducting a megaproject that will entail building a 22 z-level stack of screw pumps. I have built smaller stacks, so I am familiar with the general principle, but I want to make sure that I have the details down before I start this. Questions:

• Do Screw pumps take up more than the 10 power required to operate to conduct power up the stack?
  • Will I be okay with three water wheels to power this thing?
  • My brook freezes for about half the year. Will this break anything, or will it just start working again come the thaw?
  • Will adjacent water wheels transfer power through each other, and does this carry a power cost?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:49:59 pm by Rekov »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Water wheels, screw pumps, and power
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:16:45 pm »

I am conducting a megaproject that will entail building a 22 z-level stack of screw pumps.

• Do Screw pumps take up more than the 10 power required to operate to conduct power up the stack?

Nope.

• Will I be okay with three water wheels to power this thing?

Depends on how many axles and gears you need to add to transfer the power.  Each of those consumes some power.

• My brook freezes for about half the year. Will this break anything, or will it just start working again come the thaw?

I think the water wheels will disassemble when it freezes, but I'm not sure.

• Will adjacent water wheels transfer power through each other, and does this carry a power cost?

They transfer power to adjacent tiles "for free".  The power consumption is simply the sum of the consumption of each individual component in the entire machine: each pump, each roller, each axle, each gear, and so on.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:59:46 pm »

I'm hoping that the water wheels wont deconstruct, since they can be built over solid ground.

I'm not sure how best to connect the water wheel to the first screw pump. If it prevents me from completely boxing in the output field of the screw pump, will that cause a leak, or will the screw pump above it scoop up that water before it flows away?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:08:03 am »

The most common way to provide power to a screw pump stack is to have the power connection on top of the top screw pump. That way no leaks occur. It's also said you can encase nether-cap axles in obsidian and still have them work (without leaking), but I haven't tried that.

It can be noted that both screw pumps and water wheels can be destroyed by building destroyers...

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:12:53 pm »

I'm hoping that the water wheels wont deconstruct, since they can be built over solid ground.

I'm not sure how best to connect the water wheel to the first screw pump. If it prevents me from completely boxing in the output field of the screw pump, will that cause a leak, or will the screw pump above it scoop up that water before it flows away?
I always put a gear assembly next to the tile the dwarf would stand on if operating the pump. It also makes a good place to connect a lever to so you can turn the power off when you need to, ie. when you flood your fort.