Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Laser tag: I must win!  (Read 2332 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Help with Laser tag: I must win!
« on: March 26, 2016, 11:45:56 pm »

Me and some mates are going lasertagging on 23/4. Now I've built up a bit of reputation for this stuff during school excursions on an indoor arena. However, the venue my friend has chosen is an outdoor arena. I also have not played laser tag in a couple of years while my friends go paintball frequently. I have an ex-military family friend and a ex-military stepparent and both have given me their advice (and maybe a ghillie suit too).

So, anyone have any tips? I know the 6 's'es of stealth, a number of military maneuvers drilled into my head, how to take command of nearly any situation and a crash-course in how to hide like a member of the SAS (Australian). Anyone got any other tips, conventional or otherwise?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Laser tag: I must win!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:47:55 am »

If the place has some wimpy New-Agey lawsuit-fearing rules about running, jumping, &c., ignore them.

Curious how outdoor laser tag will work, though. Night-time?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 01:01:43 am »

Breaking the new-agey rules is a given, encouraged by both of my ex-military contacts.

SATR technology. http://www.battlefieldsports.com/satr-technology

Some of the tips only work if I can change the volume of my gun or turn the volume off.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 03:07:55 am »

Depends on the type

my advice is to constantly harass large groups... but that might not work.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 01:13:44 pm »

Recon the field and recon the equipment.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »

Okay, that's a hell of a lot beyond what I think of as laser tag, the sort of glowing shit in a blacklight-lit room where you can spoof the gear with a laser pen.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:46:44 am »

SATR technology. http://www.battlefieldsports.com/satr-technology

Some of the tips only work if I can change the volume of my gun or turn the volume off.
I played a game of laser tag with those late last year, it was surprisingly fun. I don't think you can turn off the volume or alter it in any way though.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 04:56:53 pm »

Are you on a team or no? If you are on a team, stick together, but never have a group larger than 4 people. Any more and stealth will be hard.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »

I believe we're doing it in teams. There is another guy going who is planning to be as sneaky as possible and if we're on the same team I plan to go with him.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 06:06:17 pm »

A ghillie suit will get ridiculously hot unless it's quite cold out, and at the ranges typical in laser tag it will only really help you if you're crawling, and moving very slowly or not at all. If you're bent on using it, at least plan to camouflage your weapon too. You'll probably have to wear your vest on top of it which will render all the gubbins hanging from your body much less useful.

If you want to be sneaky then be mobile, and be attentive over all else. Wear clothes that give you good mobility and comfort to keep you from getting exhausted. Camouflage comes second. Bring equipment that will help you notice the enemy before he notices you (optics). Bring only enough food and water to keep you from being distracted by hunger and thirst. Get organized. You probably won't have a lot of time to talk and get organized with your team. It's hard to get other people, especially people you don't know, to follow orders so don't pretend like you're in the real Army, because you're not. Instead of trying to give people orders, just be nice and offer sound, well-reasoned suggestions. Remember that everyone is there to have fun and heated arguments are not very fun. Lastly, quickly familiarize yourself with the terrain so that you can outmaneuver the enemy.

If there are objectives then going lone wolf is a terrible idea. You would be better off making a good example for your teammates by sticking together and trying to form strong units that can mount concerted attacks on the enemy. Lots of people (i.e. firepower) in a small area will be devastating to an enemy who is spread out, and you will easily destroy them piecemeal. We're not talking musket warfare here. Laser tag guns have a reasonable rate of fire but lose accuracy over distance. Attack fast and give the enemy, who unlike you will be reacting individually, no time to react.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:10:51 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »

And remember that the enemy's gate is down.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 04:06:44 am »

It HABBENED!

I ended up being chosen as team leader for Red team. Birthday-boy got team Captain for Red. I managed to get my hands on two people I knew for a fact can shoot straight (and were both wearing full camouflage) and well. I also got my crush on my team (one of the Snipers' best friends). Then I got Birthday-boy's dad and two randoms (One of these randoms turned out to be vital)

We were on a map called 'The gauntlet' where you had to rush down a narrow alleyway (read: you were easy targets for the peoples in the house) and then across an equal distance of fairly-OK cover and storm a house, game ending when someone waves their hand out the top window. We defended first and lasted a good fiveish minutes before we were overwhelmed (we only had 5 hit points and no lives, they had 5 HP and could run back to a medic box to respawn. They took the course slowly, taking the medibox forward with them while we shot the shit out of them. Eventually they overwhelmed us (no respawns 4 me) and we had to beat their time.

Round start and I get in the sniper box before the alleyway entrance, I pick off three people, get hit once and all of a sudden our guns announce to us that 'Mission complete!' Someone on Red team (our team, attacking) had dashed straight past everyone, upstairs and shoved his hand out the window in 23 seconds, beating the previous record of 1:00. It was one of the randoms that I had chosen because no-one I knew was left. He earned the nickname 'Twinkle-toes' and was bought a pair of ballerina slippers as a reward after the match.

They got us back in 'Blackhawk Down'. We had to get our team member out of a mock-up helicopter and get said team member back to our spawn point. However, having a team member in the heli was optional. We attacked first (attacking means getting team member/inanimate object OUT of the chopper) and did it in a reasonable time with a team member in the heli. Then we defended and they chose to have an inanimate object as their 'trapped teammate' (said inanimate object was a yellow vest). They took a leaf out of Twinkle-Toes' book and sprinted for the heli, opening the door and running with the yellow vest back to their spawn, even after the runner lost all his 'HP'

They also got us in the Western Town mockup. The defenders had to stop the attackers from grabbing the bag of 'loot' from the bank and running to spawn with it. They blitzed it (again) and dropped the loot on the way to spawn, while still somehow being able to have that classed as a victory. When we attacked, the attackers were limited to 1HP while the defenders still had 5 or ten (I can't remember which) and it was complete stagnation. We could respawn, but we weren't allowed to move the medibox so half the time we were spawn-camped with 1HP.

In the map called 'Berlin', one team (Mine) was split into two groups at either end of the map. The three-man team (Me, my Crush and my Crush's best friend (I was shitting my pants here, and it wasn't Blue team making me shit myself either)) were trapped in a 'Bunker' representing a historically inaccurate Hitler&generals holding out while being rescued by reinforcements. After having problems with our guns not reloading, Twinkle-Toes and Birthday-Boy's father arrive outside the bunker, eliminates a camper sitting outside the bunker and opens the door of the bunker for us and we run back to spawn. I put two people to 0HP on my way back.

The day ended up in a Free-for-all which really was secret-teams. After coordinating with one of my snipers and the medic/communicator for my team (I brought radios along!), the sniper and communicator dug in under a tree while I dug in behind a rock to pop anyone sneaking up behind them. Someone snuck up on me and I was alerted by the communicator through the radio. pop went the weasel as I shot the guy who snuck up on me. When I died I joined the spectators, who were trying in vain to respawn at the medibox (the Ref had disabled the box's respawn function) and my gun must have glitched out because it rebooted and loudly announced 'Respawned' to me. The ref told me to have another go and I ended up eliminating the guy who popped me.

On the way between two of the maps, we (Red team) went into a cadence for a bit, here's what I invented-ripped-off [Square brackets are the echo]:
"Left right left right"
"Left right left right" (First two lines are to get everyone into rhythm, step and time)
"We'll go to the place where the Blue team stays," [We'll go to the place where the Blue team stays!]
"Kick in the door and throw in a grenade!" [Kick in the door, throw in a grenade] (People ended up tossing around unburst paintballs on the ground, calling them grenades)
"In Delta formation, we jog today," [In Delta formation, we jog today,] (We were actually in a delta formation)
"Controlled bursts, no spray and pray." [Controlled bursts, no spray and pray.] (One thing I hammered into them by the end of the day)
"We'll shoot you up in our combat pair," [We'll shoot you up in our combat pair] (We had three teams of two and the medic/communicator attached to whatever was necessary. Marksman team, strike team and Objective team)
"We can't reload, so you're gunna have to share." [We can't reload so you're gunna have to share] (The guns sucked at reloading)
"Red team, Red team, we're gonna shout" [Red team, Red team, we're gonna shout]
"Blue team, Blue team, you're runnin' yer mouth" [Blue team, Blue team, yer runnin yer mouth] (Originally planned to be 'you're gonna rout' but depending on how that's read it could mean that they would destroy us or we could destroy them)

Please remember I made that up on-the-spot.

After the event Birthday-Boy's Dad got a set of Ballerina shoes for Twinkle-Toes to commemorate his new nickname, a tiara for the guy who complained the most on Blue team (Princess) and a set of plastic rulers for Blue team (Because they liked to 'bend the rules'). Red team got the first slices of Birthday Cake (after the birthday boy) and I had to do an impromptu speech which I had no idea was coming.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:13:08 am by Insanegame27 »

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
OMG I WANNA DO THIS
23 seconds XD That is brilliant!