Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart Questions  (Read 657 times)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Minecart Questions
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »

In my current fort, I've decided that I want to implement a bolt splitting operation (mostly for the Marksdwarf training, really... if I want to exploit that free adamantine, I'll just use trade), and I want to automate it with a repeater rather than have a patrolling dwarf. Naturally, I'm not satisfied with just any repeater, so as I've thought about it, the requirements for the project have... grown. I now want to build a minecart clock:

• The delay should come from the time it takes a minecart to go around a track
  • The minecart should come back to the same sub-tile position each time it goes around the track
  • The time for the circuit should be an integer multiple of 100 ticks (so that it's easy to synchronize with things like pressure plates)

Naturally, fulfilling these requirements requires pretty precise knowledge of minecart physics. Now, most of what I need is answered on the wiki, but it does raise two questions. First, in two different places, it says the speed penalty for going around a corner is either applied at the halfway point of the tile or when leaving the corner tile. Does anyone know which one it is? Second, it says that the length of a ramp tile is 144000. However, sqrt(2)=1.41421, so I would expect it to be 141421 (or perhaps a rounded version of this). Can someone confirm that the wiki is accurate with that number?

Thanks!

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:10:33 am »

Wow, really? I'm amazed.

I just have "a lot" of hunters.
When 5 or 10 reach +5 , they go into a squad.
That squads barracks gets 1 archery target.
DONE.  :o

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:39:05 am »

It just seems so much more dwarfy to have an automated live training hall, with some goblin or troll trapped and afraid, and the whole thing run by the world's most perfect clock, which never misses a tick.

Actually, I almost don't care about the automated live training hall anymore, I just want to build the perfect clock now.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:51 am »

Lofty goals indeed.
I'm trying for a 1000 dwarf fort.

I salute you.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.