Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lords and Courts: Deus Vult!  (Read 2994 times)

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
Re: Lords and Courts: Deus Vult!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »

Guys I think we should do 4 because it's near the capital so we can more easily keep in contact with the king there's towns that we can go to for food and amenity's and that raider fort could make a great castle/keep.
Option 4

+1
I was thinking that or 2.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 06:23:23 pm »

At least with 4 we'll be dealing with a king who already likes us as opposed to a snotty count who will want our land and total subservience.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »

True I suppose but we don't know the politics in the area, and we don't know how stable the kings position is. But lets go with 4.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 01:34:43 am »

I agree with 4. Heh, I'm actually expecting if we do go for 4 the king expects us to rebuild the fort so we can protect the river, which should be fun.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 02:47:45 pm »

(Rolled the die, halving the number of years each time. That is how I reached the beginning year. Please note, the periods are rough, even in real life history. There obviously isnt some instant shift at the start of each different period.)

(Also note, this setting is anologous to the equivalent period in our world. No countries we know will appear. The game will move at 1 month per turn, possibly up to a season should time need to pass quickly.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shaking off the surprise from being offered such rich land choices for your station, you look over each of the four choices with a very scrutinous eye. The steward watches, pleasantly smiling at you. You discount each of the first three, for a variety of reasons. One of which the possibility of being under a petty border count, one that could turn out to be a real bastard just as much as he could be a wealthy saint. Finally, you come to the last choice, one that seems to have a nice mix of all the main features of the previous options. You are also enticed by the fort on the land, and the possibility that it could be salvagable with the chance it could one day become a strong castle should you manage to get the materials and money.

It is also in the heartlands of the kingdom. There are many large land holdings belonging to powerful Dukes, as well as the holdings of the Prince and Archduke. The Royal Demense is also somewhat nearby, which contains the capital and its fortress; a fortification of such complexisty it is exceedingly rare for its time. This, you realise, gives you a very good trade outlook. The area could also be very rich in resources from the looks of the land as well, which means you may attract entrepreneurial people who would jump at the chance to get a business or industry off the ground.

Your proximity to the heartlands may also net you negatives. Your lands may be subject to bandits and coastal raiders who may see you as a wealthy but weak target. So be wary of strangers bearing weapons.

"I will take the fourth option, the old Fort and its surroundings" You state. The steward smiles and makes a number os marks on the vellum parchment he is holding. Blowing on it to dry the ink, the steward rolls the paper up, secures it with a red ribbon and stamps it quickly with wax and a seal. Handing it to you, with his ever present smile, he continues to talk. "His majesty has seen fit to provide you with a strong sword, a symbol of your status but no less useful." He turns, withdrawing a well made steel sword from an alcove behind a nearby tapestry. "Use it well in defense of your lands, people and person". With a nod, you take you leave. "Thank you sir".

"Fare Well Sir Greenwood" You hear as you bow, turn and walk back the way you came, the parchment in one hand and your new sword in the other.

--------

3rd July, Year of Our Lord 1168.

After spending several more days in the capital gathering your basic supplies and bringing together your friends from the Militia that followed you, you eventually find yourself in your land. You pass every so often a grouping of several houses, interspersed with the odd residence of a farmer or some rural craftsman. Your bottom hurts from the riding, something you are unaccustomed to and as such do with little skill. Your black mare under you moveds half according to its own whims, barely listening to your input. The great river your lands are near is the Great River Vennel, and you can see it, its waters shining in the sun.

Children every so often come to follow you along the trail, some laughing at your obvious inexperience in the saddle, others marvelling at your gleaming sword. Some see the bow in its holder on your back, unstrung of course. These youngsters grin and ask you for a competition of archery, however you tell them that you have places to be and you need to hurry there. They seem deflated but understanding as you ride along. The entourage of children soon stops as you reach further into your lands.

You eventually see the fort, situated at a narrower than usual part of the river on a raised rocky outcropping. A fine place to build a defensive fortification to fight raiders, well within range of the powerful bnows your people use. Once you reach the fort you see (Roll=12) that it is in surprisingly good condition, for being an almost 50 year old ruin that has little maintenance or attention of any sort for almost that entire time. The main building seems to be strong, very thick walls interspersed with damaged shutters covering recessed windows (no glass). The roof looks like it would keep out rainfall for a while, although from where you are riding, you can still see a number of cracks, holes and other bits of damage. You do not see any fire damage, which is good as the interior, unless all stone, is likely to be wood beams and floors. If they are in tact, it could serve as a good base of operations from the get go.

The fort also has a single curtain wall that is very close to the main building, leaving a small overgrown courtyard. The wall has certainly seen better days. Despite its overall decent health, the upper stones are damaged or outright missing, leaving the battlements a mangled mess. The small gatehouse shows signs of fire damage and the main gate was long liberated from its hinges, two large slabs of what looks like oak wood now lying forlornly on their sides covering the ground on approach to the central building. You enter the forts courtyard and look inside the main building, the main door also being taken off its hinges. (Roll=4) You are lucky, but not all that lucky. The interior shows no signs of fire, and the floors and beams are intact, however the wood you do see shows signs of rot, and several beams look unstable. There is also the distinctly fruity scent of fungus and mold. The outside does not need all that much work, however the interior certainly needs gutting and replacing, which with the size of the fort is very many man hours worth of work.

You exit the fort. As you ride down the hilly rock outcropping, you run into a pair of hunters.

"Ho there stranger. Havent seen you around these moors before. Who..." The talled hunter says whilst eyeing your sword, "might you be Sir?"

You explain who you are, and why you are wondering about these lands. You explain you were just exploring the old fort to see if it was usable.

With a chuckle, the shorter hunter smiles. "That old place hasnt been livable for many a summer. I wouldnt even keep me dogs in there. Too much damage and rot." He chuckles some more being going back to adjusting the brace of rabbits on his belt.

"Your another one of the Kings men then? Well, good luck!" The tall hunter says, bowing, before brisquely walking off. His fellow copying and then following close behind.

With that, you stand alone on the banks of the river. You have no (safe) place to sleep, no immediate village or settlement near you with a sore bum.

What do you do, good Sir Greenwood?

Spoiler: "Capital" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Land" (click to show/hide)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 02:54:41 pm »

Head back to the Hamlet's try to offer work to make the old fort livable.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »

More like ride the hamlets that actually belong to us and make ourselves known to our new people. Stay at the inn of the largest hamlet for now as our base of operations.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »

More like ride the hamlets that actually belong to us and make ourselves known to our new people. Stay at the inn of the largest hamlet for now as our base of operations.
+1
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 03:50:16 pm »

+1

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:43 pm »

+1

+1
+1

Try to find the authority figures of this area. We need to arrange a meeting with them.
Edit: How many people are in our entourage? Are they on foot or horse?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:34:13 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:00 pm »

+1

+1
+1

Try to find the authority figures of this area. We need to arrange a meeting with them.
Edit: How many people are in our entourage? Are they on foot or horse?
1+
Pages: 1 [2]