Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Mug Solution  (Read 8287 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Mug Solution
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »

Apologies if this is already well-known, but since I have tried unsuccessfully on many occasions to find a solution I thought there might be others in the same situation that might like this information.

The problem:  Most if not all dwarves get a negative thought for drinking without a mug, despite plentiful mugs in the fortress.

My solution:  No mugs allowed in stockpiles anywhere.

I discovered this by accident.  In my new fortress I neglected to put a coffer in my tavern or add mugs to my crafts/trading stockpile.  I created enough mugs to cover dwarves and visitors.  It's now the end of the first year and I'm taking stock of dwarves and supplies, when I noticed mugs littering the drink stockpile.  I checked all of my dwarves and not one had the negative thought from drinking without a mug.  I'm not sure how long this will continue to work, but 100% success is promising, even this early.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: The Mug Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:04:45 pm »

to a newbie (me), this sounds like a solution to a problem which i haven't even encountered yet.
but it sounds legit like the multiple stockpiles with some not permitting barrels to always provide seeds for the farms.
lots of micromanaging and some of it beign worth the effort :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:00:21 am »

Mugs stored in tavern chests are usable only by tavern personnel for serving drinks, so if the whole fortress supply belongs to the tavern nobody can get at it, unless you add dwarf killing personnel to the tavern (and then still only tavern served booze will be in a mug). Having more mugs than tavern mug slots is thus required. In addition to that, the new zone locations interact very poorly with stockpiles, frequently resulting in an eternal hauling loop from stockpile to zone and then back, and this happens with mugs as well. Thus, mugs, tools [blank quires], and instruments mustn't be allocated to any stockpiles. Written material manages to spawn "run up and touch me" jobs when stored properly in library bookcases even without a stockpile.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 02:17:20 am »

Hello!

Well, I have to admit that I have not encountered problems with mug usage in the fortress I started in the current version once I had enough mugs for both the tavern and a special mug stockpile not too far away from it. Dwarves usually pick up mugs from the stockpile fine, drink and even bring back the mug immediately.

One reason for problems I could think of could be having mugs in your trading goods. Have you been trading finished goods? If so, then you are probably well-advised to set your trading good stockpile not to allow mugs in it. Otherwise the mugs might be unreachable while the bin sits in the trade depot.

Yours,
Deathworks

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 03:26:06 am »

I had this problem with mugs in coffers not being used (I didn't have a barkeep).

Just put a mug stockpile in the tavern. I did and it works fine. No more hassel brassel... sproot.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:42:05 am »

I wish I had dwarf killing personnel. Mine consistently fail to kill anyone. Even with 3 tavern keepers assigned.
Not doubting that it's a real issue, just saying. :)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:21:41 am »

I set up my booze stockpile to also allow mugs, and no bins.  That way any dropped mug is automatically back where it belongs.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:32:44 pm »

slink, I believe the effect we're getting is the same.  In fact, the more I think about it the more I think the main culprit behind the negative thought for drinking without a mug is the much maligned Bin. 

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »

Sounds like the issue could be the fact that when one hauler thinks of the bin, it and its contents will vanish from the consciousness of everyone else and even from the fortress stocks.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 09:14:57 pm »

Sounds like the issue could be the fact that when one hauler thinks of the bin, it and its contents will vanish from the consciousness of everyone else and even from the fortress stocks.

The obvious solution would be to simply have more mugs and bins, or forego the bins. Although I've never had an issue with haulers moving my mug bins. After dwarves have had a drink they return the mug to the stockpile. Maybe if I made more mugs afterwards then it would create a problem with haulers.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »

In one fortress I had 40 dwarves with 160 mugs - 40 in the tavern and 120 in stockpiles around the fort.  Almost all of the dwarves had the "drink without a mug" negative thought.  I don't think more mugs would have solved it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:06:14 pm »

I just have a small (6 tiles or so) stockpile for mugs next to my booze stockpile. the mug stockpile is set to allow no bins. I also set up my trade goods stockpiles to not allow mugs. I don't notice very many bad thoughts due to lack of mugs, so I assume it works.

Of course, every dwarf in my fort could be complaining about mugs and it wouldn't really make any difference, they'd all still be happy.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.