Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is why I love Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 1117 times)

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is why I love Dwarf Fortress.
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »

Just started a new fort, and set up a library...

I've got a visiting scholar who's obsessed with rain and things rain-related, and has written an 83-page book called "Evaporation and Condensation Questioned", and a 55-page one called "Discourse on the Water Cycle".
Meanwhile, one of my scholars and two visiting ones are having an intense (apparently, because they've been at it for months) discussion about locks. They started out with warded locks, and are on to tumblers now.
No other game I've ever played gives so much depth to every character, even minor ones.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »

Dude, there are scholars who write alt-history tomes out there. "What if the siege of the knowing wanes on tombfront in 37 had been successful?"

makeshift 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimli, sitting on 43.
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:43 pm »

They also make great advancements in mathematics. They deal with all sorts of interesting (yet now proven and solved) problems like infinite sequences, Fermat's last Theorem, many topics covered in Euclid's elements, number theory, and notation.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:36:31 pm by makeshift 8 »
Legolas: Final count... fourty-two.
Gimli: Fourty-two? Ohhhh, that's not bad for a pointy eared elvish princeling. I myself am sitting prettily on fourty-three!