Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who runs human civilizations?  (Read 2087 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who runs human civilizations?
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »

So, I've been running human adventurers, and noticed a pattern. I run a char until he or she gets crippled, then I take them to a meadhall or castle somewhere to retire. I like the continuity, and I like dropping them somewhere nice instead of in the middle of some town in the middle of nowhere.

But...these are seats of power and authority. Would it be possible to retire enough adventurers to become a stakeholder in the civilization? Is there a keep somewhere that represents the center of authority for the entire group? Or are they just loose confederacies of lords?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Who runs human civilizations?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »

Towns tend to have more soldiers and "power" but as Toady explained, right now lords are just more successful bandits basically, they got enough followers and such to set up a hamlet, and some are able to set up and grow huge towns.

I like to go around and intimidate local lords to pay tribute to the one I'm a hearthperson for sometimes.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:13 pm »

I like to go around and intimidate local lords to pay tribute to the one I'm a hearthperson for sometimes.
You can do that? Economy isn't even in. How?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »

You can demand tribute from other groups if you are a lord (or bandit leader) yourself.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:00:46 pm »

Lawgivers are the "most powerful" leaders it is a fuedal system so lords pay tribute to lawgivers.It is called a civilization but it's essentially a bunch of warlords with a shared culture. There is also infighting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:02:44 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »

Lot's of infighting.

When there is a law-giver you'll see "Soandso is lord, not that it matters, as the seat of Someoneelse is here and the law is absolute." or in the inevitable case of vampires, "...and the blood-drinker allows no chattel to rise."

I don't know that the tribute does anything, but it is still fun to know you made everyone around your town accept that your people are at the top of the pecking order.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »

Towns tend to have more soldiers and "power" but as Toady explained, right now lords are just more successful bandits basically, they got enough followers and such to set up a hamlet, and some are able to set up and grow huge towns.
As a poli sci and history geek, I'll say, IMO, that's not as far off as you might think...

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 05:29:12 pm »

Lot's of infighting.

When there is a law-giver you'll see "Soandso is lord, not that it matters, as the seat of Someoneelse is here and the law is absolute." or in the inevitable case of vampires, "...and the blood-drinker allows no chattel to rise."

I don't know that the tribute does anything, but it is still fun to know you made everyone around your town accept that your people are at the top of the pecking order.
So, you can you become a lawgiver?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »

No, only lord atm. Those are hardcoded positions from the [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] token. I prefer to be a hearthperson, at least until we can actually give out quests to others, though having bandit bosses give out assassination and mugging and thievery quests will be neat too.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:12:46 am »

"I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took an arrow to the knee"
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 09:00:42 am »

"I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took an arrow to the knee"
Until a beak dog destroyed the nerve function of my sword arm, and then a hyena ripped apart the other...

(True story, this guy is now lord of a mighty olivine castle in an isolated coastal marshland)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:05:16 am by mirrizin »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 12:48:26 am »

Lot's of infighting.

Im going to say yes you can, im no sure tho.
You would get an hume adventurer, retire them in a hume fort, revive the fort then attempt to place them in the position.
I did similar to get a high weapon skill, so I gave my adventure a pick and got it to legendary before really adventuring.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 04:42:53 pm »

Lot's of infighting.

Im going to say yes you can, im no sure tho.
You would get an hume adventurer, retire them in a hume fort, revive the fort then attempt to place them in the position.
I did similar to get a high weapon skill, so I gave my adventure a pick and got it to legendary before really adventuring.

Hmm, I'm fairly sure you cannot. Though I'll be honest, I'm having hard time understanding your comment.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »

Fairly sure you cant become anything else (intentionally anyway) but a lord.

On occassion my character randomly became a mayor or a broker - I don't recall why that happens, though.

Slightly off-topic but why is it exactly we can't take over any sites other than towns or hamlets (camps too I think)? I think an explanation was given but I don't remember right now.