Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crychamber - a Dwarven Colosseum //Community Fortress//  (Read 2698 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Crychamber - a Dwarven Colosseum //Community Fortress//
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:23 am »

Crychamber

The dwarfs from the mountain homes have been bored for a long time. Goblins gave up attacking it a long time ago, nothing was happening. So the emperor Uristus Aurelius had an idea. He decided to build a great building, a building that could entertain all the bored dwarfs, a great arena, a.... Colosseum.

That's when my part comes in. The emperor ordered his guards to bring him the best Mechanicus in the empire and those lazy bastards decided that I, who was in the jail at that time (I had a great time smashing the queens throne) was the best in the whole empire. When they were taking me I objected and told them that I don't even know how a windmill works (which is true) and I'm a Diggerus not an Mechanicus (partially true) but they didn't listen. It was decided that I and other seven random dwarfs will start an outpost... somewhere (I wasn't listening when the Emperor was showing us the map).

Hi guys, so I decided to start a fortress and my goal will be building a great (probably it won't be big but still) working Colosseum, I did some experiments before on other worlds, but this one should be the first one that works (if I get there). I was thinking about it for some time and I decided that it would make a good story. I don't have a schedule for updates so they will come in randomly.

Holidays

17th Limestone - The Military Day

Dorfing Requests:

If you want to be dorfed tell me your name, think of something that has an ancient Rome ring to it.

Imicus - Architectus - Mason and architect that helped with building the Colosseum. - Dorfed
Ridik'olus - Male - Diggerus - First Diggerus Maximus than military training. - Dorfed
Gwolfus - Mechanicus Bonatus - first a mechanic later a gladiator using an axe. - Dorfed

Graveyard

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:47:19 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Crychamber - a Dwarven Colosseum //Community Fortress//
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »

dwarf me as imicus, the arcitecht who designed it and the mason who built it!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »

Ridik`olus, male miner.  Make him dig until legendary miner, then toss him to dodger and armor user trainer, add shield after.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

Gwolfus,  job title 'Certified Engineer' Mechanicus Bonatus

Please make me engineer and axedwarf

Also maybe make imic's job title 'architectus' (architect)?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:20 pm »

I added you to the  list guys. I don't know if Gwolfus will be an axedwarf cause I wanted to use just swords and spears as military weapons but he might become a gladiator. Ridik'Olus for sure will have at least a year of training cause every male dwarf must go to the military for at least a year.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 08:00:51 am »

The Beginning and My End
Just before arriving I looked at our maps.

The fortress name is Crychambers, our embark group is called clean rope and this is our fortress image.

A few notes before I start the yearly journal that I was ordered to write.
This is the area were we arrived and we will build our fortress entrance:

This is the area were we will build our colosseum (if the fortress survives):

I thought this area would be more flat.
Our general Maximus Decimus Uristnanges ordered a wall on the colosseum level to be cleared so that we can later build our main gate there.

For now that’s how our entrance will look like.

Journal:
We arrived during Slate (middle-spring) and the first month wasn’t very productive everything I did is in the notes.

//1st Felsite (late-spring)//
Almost all the workshop area is dug out and we will start the construction of buildings soon.

//16th Felsite (late-spring)//
We need more space for the workshops. The building construction is going slower than I thought, right now the only working workshop is the carpenters workshop.

Summer has arrived.

//3rd Hematite (early-summer)//
We finally set up the dormitory. No more dirt sleeping.

//6th Hematite (early-summer)//
The work is going really slow. I think we won’t start the construction of the colosseum until the second or third year.

//13th Hematite (early-summer)//
Refuse started piling inside I designated an area for dumping refuse.

//16th Hematite (early-summer)//
Maximus Decimus started training.

//19th Hematite (early-summer)//
I don’t know if we will even start the building of the Colosseum if our dwarfs love working so much.

//3rd Hematite (early-summer)//
Migrants! Finally! The new guys are: a peasant, glassmaker, two fishery workers, weapon smith, tanner and a miller. The only worth mentioning person is Imicus an architectus.

//13th Malachite (middle-summer)//
A human bard is visiting our tavern.

//15th Malachite (middle-summer)//
A human spearman is visiting.

//17th Malachite (middle-summer)//
A dwarf had a fight with a gray langur.
A poet is visiting.

//18th Malachite (middle-summer)//
The gray langurs are becoming a problem. I order maximus Decimus to get rid of them. To the attack joined our Grower.
I just noticed that our tavern is called “The Great Snacks”

Finally after a long and tedious fight the langurs were killed.

//19th Galena (late-summer)//
A marksdwarf is visiting.

Autumn has come

//8th Limestone (early-autumn)//
We discovered the caverns.
We can finally stop wasting wood on fuel and use the nice and warm magma. I ordered guys to start gathering spider webs for silk.

//13th Limestone (early-autumn)//
A caravan and an outpost liaison have arrived and a marksdwarf visited. These are the news from the mountainhome.

//17th Limestone (early-autumn)//
We might have a problem with a few cave creatures. A giant cave spider, a giant toad and around 5 troglodytes are moving into the fortress.
An epic battle begun. Maximus ran into the tunnel and began fighting the troglodytes. He was winning in the beginning but soon he was too tired to fight and the troglodytes started hitting him. His life might have ended if I didn’t draft some random guys into the military and order them to help the general. We very fast wrestled the troglodytes to death but a greater danger came. The giant toad was walking up the staircase into the fortress. It killed a miner that wasn’t suspecting anything. 
It even got itself a name for the kill.

Meanwhile I ordered the masons to start making a wall
Our military is all dead.
Nothing can stop Nilsat, the wall must be constructed before our fortress fails. I order the wall to be constructed.
The fight didn’t end yet and this guys already appointed a new expedition leader.
The fortress is saved, Nilsat went back to its layer. The only still alive participant of the battle is Maximus. Maximus was taken to the hospital by Imicus. The caverns are sealed off. We are save and down to nine dwarves.
Oh shit, I think the cave spider went thru our fortress while I wasn’t watching and went outside where he killed a few caravan guards and was killed himself. He was called Nothisernam.
That’s where the spider was struck down (the white thing is web).

There is a ton of web, it must have been a great fight.
This battle of  the toad and the fallen dwarves shall never be forgotten. I call 17th Limestone the military day.

//4th Sandstone (middle-autumn)//
This fortress is a mess. I ordered the bodies and items of the fallen to be gathered. We are working on a graveyard. Our weaponsmith became a miner. At least the traders left without taking their goods so we got loads of items for free. Miasma is coming from the rotten bodies of troglodytes and dwarfs.

//20th Sandstone (middle-autumn)//
Finally somebody new, migrants.
I feel like I will die soon, my wounds are not healing My head is burning.

I hate you Em....

//End Of Snow Dwarfs Journal//

Imicus's profile:

I know I didn't do a whole year but I think I will do a bit more this weekend cause I had a lot of fun. Nothing special happened this year other than the great battle of the toad actually after looking at some reports I think more damage was done by the spider.
I love this fortress, actually this is my first "real" fortress, others that I made were more like set up an industry and give up when you are bored.
Note: If you have problems with viewing the images cause they are to big you can use "ctr"+"-" to zoom out this page.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:19:19 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 08:19:48 am »

The letter to the Emperor
Crychamber, 28th Sandstone
Dear Emperor,
I'm sending this letter to you earlier this year because your servant Snow Dwarf died from his wounds 21st Sandstone.
On 24th Sandstone I Snowixus Dwarfix, the new governor Iden Graniteyawns and Imicus the architectus that Snow Dwarf passed his knowledge to started a discussion about the Senate of Crychambers and after three days of talking we decided that I will become the next leader of the construction and the Senate will consist for now of me Imicus and the governor.

The construction of the Colosseum will start soon this year but we have problems with the creatures of the underground and we think that cage traps would be useful for capturing them so that we can use them later in the arena but for that we request that You send a mechanic if its possible Your Majesty.

With this letter I also send You the journal of Snow Dwarf.

Your greatest servant, Snowixus Dwarfix

I'm sorry that I didn't post an update but I am very busy and I don't want Dwarf Fortress to get boring cause for me it is a bit too much of dwarf fortress and it feels like a burden and I want dwarf fortress to be fun so from now on I will post an update whenever I want to play dwarf fortress not when I have to play.

<<Previous
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:40:10 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:09 am »

We Survived!
Middle Autumn
Dear Diary,
my first day  at the glorious Crychambers. However it doesn’t feel so glorious at all. A stockpile of rotting bodies near the entrance. What in the name of Jupiter is this? The Emperor said that we were to expect a glorious fortress with a colosseum and there isn’t a colosseum.
The governor showed us the dormitory which looks like a hospital there is a general sleeping with bad wounds who I heard people mention was defending the fortress from a great beast and there is also a guy who’s  name is similar to my he is called Snow Dwarf his wounds are very bad. I will have nightmares sleeping here.
When I woke up the next day Snow Dwarf was dead. The locals were just like, ahh that’s normal and they took him to the graveyard.
A few days later the governor and Imicus the architectus asked all the new arrivers who is their leader and it was me. We started a discussion about the government of Crychambers and it was decided that I will be the next leader of the construction. Imicus shared with me the secrets passed to him by Snow Dwarf.
That was unexpected.
Today I actually found out goblins are not so bad one arrived and he was trained in spear. He might be useful if he decides to stay with us I’m not sure if this is the smartest decision but well.

Late Autumn
The Autumn started by the greatest creatures of all venturing into our fortress. Plum helmet man! 
I also found out how furious a sleepy dwarf can be, he killed a giant rat  and three troglodytes when interrupted at sleeping. 

Early Winter
I noticed that the our Great General is still sleeping. How long can he rest? Maybe he got bitten by the giant spider that I saw the body of? I ordered a random dwarf that later became our doctor to check him. He said that Maximus isn’t actually so good he has many bones broken.

I think I will vomit. The troglodytes that were killed by the sleepy dwarf started producing miasma.

Thanks to our new doctor Maximus started training again

While I was writing this somebody just ran into my office shouting that there is an Elk bird in the wood working area and there are 5 more Elk birds running into Crychambers. Great, just great.

Our glassmaker canceled making a glass pot because he has withdrawn from the society. Actually that’s what everybody said but it was more like stand up and sit down back to the glass furnace. He is requesting glass. Can’t he make it himself?

Mid-Winter
There was a massacre going on between dogs and an Elk bird in the dining room, happily everybody is safe and alive. The dogs have some wounds but they should heal. Maximus said he will take care of the Elk bird. How I see it it’s going to be more like beating the creature with a wooden stick but at least there won’t be an alive Elk bird in our dining room.
In the iron of Armok! there is blood everywhere in the dining room. I get it if somebody throws up during lunch.

Late-Winter
The glassmaker has created Arzesvod! A glorious glass box! It is shiny green! It menaces with spikes of green glass! It looks likes shit!

Dear diary, I’m starting to get worried about so many goblins visiting us. I’m thinking they might be setting us up.

Oh, shit! On Jupiters beard! I forgot about ordering the stupid dwarves to make barrels and now all our food is rotting! Can’t they do such a simple thing by themselves?

Why? Just why? Why are they naked mole dogs running around? The ugliest creatures?
[shouting to Maximus] Maximus! You can test out the goblin meatshi… hgmhg, recruits!

Our army killed the mole dogs and a few crundles. Probably they will start producing miasma now. This fortress is shit! New year is coming soon and what do we get? Miasma, dead bodies, cave crocodile probably meeting us soon, blood… I should have stayed with my mama. I miss her so badly right now. Maybe I can ask the cook to make a naked mole dog soup just as my mama used to.

The wet season has arrived.
We survived our first year... Party!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:32:51 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:38 am »

New Government

Spring
21st Granite
Dear diary,
I haven’t written anything in some time as there wasn’t anything special happening, all the blood and miasma is still the same nothing changed but the elven caravan has arrived. They unloaded their goods in all the blood and vomit left by the cave spider.

Middle-Spring
1st Slate
Our miner has given birth to a beautiful boy
2nd Slate
This is crazy today our cook has given birth to a beautiful boy.
We also almost got rid of the withered-crop crisis
but miasma in the kitchen working area is still not gone.
3rd Slate
I don’t believe it, this this time it’s a girl. What were the male dwarfs of Crychambers doing when we had a crisis?
4th Slate
The cook that has just given birth to a boy became the governor of the district named Matchedboot. It’s a great honor to house her in our fortress but….. she requested so much stuff. Now our senate consists of Logem Gusgashasob the new district governor, Iden Lolokam who used to be the governor of Crychamebers but now he’s just a senator, me a senator, Maximus Decimus Uristnanges the general and a nobody who is just in the senate cause the laws says the chief medical dwarf is part of the senate. Our government is growing.
16th Slate
New hands arrived. The governor has assigned everybody their new labors.
18th Slate
We had the first senate meeting with the new governor and we decided that because we have big problems with cavern-creatures that the export of bolts will be banned.

Late Spring
1st Felsite
We haven’t noticed that there were more migrants still coming after we sorted the first guys. More sorting. But at least there is the mechanicus we ordered, his name is Gwolfus. Gwolfus wants everyone to call him Mechanicus Bonatus even though he is not that good of a mechanic, but whatever.
5th Felsite
Troglodytes are running into and out of the fortress. We can’t let them spread aboveground.

29th Felsite
For the rest of the spring nothing was happening, almost nothing new. There is new miasma.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:28:38 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:28:56 am »

Added pictures

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:19:53 pm »

update coming soon