Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma and water  (Read 804 times)

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma and water
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

Just a quick question,

If I had a hole, 4 z levels deep, with the bottom revealing the aquifier,
and I poured magma onto it,
would it..
1) allow me to get past the aquifier
and
2) Is it possible to fill the entire hole up with magma, and have the water from the aquifier dry it out? Thus allowing me to build my castle of obsidian

Or would I need to fill the hole half with water, and half with magma? or some other combination?

thanks

hat?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: magma and water
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

1. If you did, the tile where the magma and water meet would become obsidian almost instantly.

2. Not unless you've got some huge cave-in setup with magma over the cavein area and then caves into the water.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magma and water
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

code:

Z -0      F~~~~~~~~X (note there's a floor under the water)
Z -1 MMMMMF        X
Z -2 XXXXXX~~~~~~~~X
Z -3 ???????????????

X= undug area
M= magma
F= floodgate (needs to be magma-proof on Z-1)
~= water
?= possible 2nd aquifer

Open the floodgate on Z-1 to create obsidian in a 6x6 channel dug out of the aquifer on Z-2. Open the floodgate on Z-0 once the magma reaches about 3/4 of the way to the other side of the channel. Close the floodgate as soon as the magma flow is cut off (this is a fail-safe in case the mechanism on your magma-proof floodgate melts off of the floodgate on Z-1).

Now, you can dig a 5x5 area in the middle of that obsidian without it being flooded. Rinse, repeat for each successive layer of aquifer.