Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dunking spiders and sacrificing peasants at Diamondwill  (Read 1417 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dunking spiders and sacrificing peasants at Diamondwill
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

Cog Satzasit was the typical expedition leader. A miner by profession, he saved up some gold, went to the Mountainhomes Institute of Trade to learn how to run a fortress for profit and pieced together an expedition to a promising area.
Maps showed a convenient climate, a brook flowing in a canyon and a volcano.
The location they chose was halfway up the mountain, at a safe distance from the volcano and overlooking the brook.
As the wagon made its way across the mountain to the chosen campsite, Bim Serid, the fortress mechanic, noticed junk scattered around the brook, and dozens of kobolds. "Good thing we chose the high ground," he said. "That should buy us some time before we are forced to exterminate them."
Thikut, the expedition's hunter and a close friend of Cog, jokingly suggested that they dig a channel across the mountain and above the canyon, route the lava into it and watch as the kobolds burn. Bim jokingly drew up some plans and verified that the plan was indeed possible. Cog jokingly approved the plan and started digging. He and Bim Zuglarasen, the second miner, spent the next months digging the channel. One day, Cog struck the stone one final time and sent magma oozing through the channel. He ran up, sealed the corridor leading to the channel and ran to the meeting hall, shouting "I've done it! Project DIAF is complete!". Thikut, who spent most of his time outside and didn't know about the dig, spit out his -Dwarven Ale- and the entire expedition couldn't stop laughing.

Shortly afterwards, a group of about a dozen migrants arrived. Unfortunately for them, they arrived from a different direction, and were greeted by a legendary Kobold bowman who opened fire on them immediately. The migrants ran like hell for a few seconds, and then turned back and charged the surprised kobold. They weren't even sure why. It was as if some force compelled them to become soldiers.

The bowman, Blabatreeldus Usirnursher Kidet Ning, was hardly overwhelmed. The dwarves were no match for his *Copper Bow*, whether he used it as intended or as a blunt trauma delivery device. The sheer numbers of dwarves, not their menacing fists, was the thing that brought him down. Likot Fathkalan, one of the migrants, clocked an exhausted Blabatreeldus and brought the carnage to an end.

When the remaining five migrants arrived, the original expedition members, were puzzled at the sight of five dwarves covered in blood and vomit. The new arrivals told their tale, and were immediately hailed as heroes and made into "The Girders of Loving", Diamondwill's standing army led by Likot.

The big dig was over, and the dwarves started to spend more time outside. They soon noticed a group of antmen sitting on a hedge above them, teasing the dwarves who went outside. No work could be done outside the fort, as the dwarves couldn't help running back into the cave whenever an antman peeked over the hedge.
Cog didn't waste any time. He ordered the dwarves to stay inside and began work on two paths leading to the hedge above. The restrictions were then lifted and the Girders of Loving, accompanied by Thikut, were dispatched to eliminate the antmen. It seemed like a walk in the park initially. The ground was soon white with ichor and numerous antman corpses lay scattered on the hedge. Curious dwarves climbed up and looked at their slain tormentors. A victory party was announced for later that day, and the army kept working.
Then, tragedy struck. Likot became stuck, and he soon found out why- he stepped in a concealed web laid by a giant cave spider. What happened next could be summarized as carnage. Not even the outpost liaison, who had just arrived, was spared. Working day and night, the dwarves eventually fled into the relative security of their fort and sealed off the paths leading to that dreaded ledge. Only Cog, Thikut, Bim the mechanic and some other guy survived.

Meanwhile, the magma reached the end of the channel and started leaking down on the unsuspecting kobolds.

Almost immediately after the spider disaster, even more migrants arrived, this time from the right direction, compensating for the losses. Some of them entered the fort successfully, but others were stuck outside, because the giant cave spider scared them so much that they couldn't even get close to the fortress. Most of them were saved eventually, but at least two died of thirst.
The first order of business was to relocate the entire fort by digging new rooms to the east. The dwarves were far enough from the spider to feel safe, and the fort slowly returned to its normal state.

The lava is still slowly spreading. It hasn't reached the waterline, but it claimed the lives of half a dozen kobolds. The spider continues to roam the ledge, waiting for some more dwarves to digest.

That concludes my story turned plain old description.
I have no idea what to do next. I got indoor farming up and running out of the spider's interruption range, and I'm about to dig out a proper apartment complex for the dwarves. I really want to kill the spider, but something tells me my current military might won't cut it, and the only metal I managed to find was engulfed by the magma when I filled the channel.

Thread updated.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: AlienChickenPie ]

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunking spiders and sacrificing peasants at Diamondwill
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

This is excellent. Though, you did post the same picture twice (Once for the kobold elite bowman slaughtering immigrants and once for the giant cave spider doing the same).
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

Wonderful and well crafted story  :) Continue!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:00 am »

Huh. Here's the correct picture:

Here's the correct picture, the magma-flooded point where the channel meets the magma.

Meanwhile, I dug another channel located a little to the south and below the original channel, hoping that the presence of more magma above it would increase the pressure forcing the magma out of the hole.
It didn't really work that way, and even with the second channel, the kobold killing is still too slow for my taste.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlienChickenPie:
<STRONG>Huh. Here's the correct picture:</STRONG>

Actually, you uh, kind of posted that one already too. Very first picture.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>
Actually, you uh, kind of posted that one already too. Very first picture.</STRONG>

I edited my first post to have this picture. Before the edit, the first picture was the mess created by the giant cave spider.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:21:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>

I edited my first post to have this picture. Before the edit, the first picture was the mess created by the giant cave spider.</STRONG>

Ah, my bad. Then it's all good (Including the writing).

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

My next deadly plan for the area is to steam the kobolds instead of boiling them. In order to do that, I'll need a bridge to carry the lava halfway across the canyon and drop it into the brook. Is it possible to create a bridge like that using only stone and without having to send workers to the canyon to build supports?
I could just build stone floors in a straight line leading to the brook, but won't the lave just drip off the sides?

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 07:31:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>My next deadly plan for the area is to steam the kobolds instead of boiling them. In order to do that, I'll need a bridge to carry the lava halfway across the canyon and drop it into the brook. Is it possible to create a bridge like that using only stone and without having to send workers to the canyon to build supports?
I could just build stone floors in a straight line leading to the brook, but won't the lave just drip off the sides?</STRONG>

Not if you build walls on the side.
Though isn't steam almost ineffective in this version? I would think outdoors it would be even worse.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Water + Lava = Obsidian almost immediately in this version. You won't get much steam out of it.

Amusing story. I'm enjoying it. Keep going!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

UPDATE

It took them about a year and at least ten dead recruits, but the dwarves finally killed Nosebusted, the giant cave spider.

Method 1: Using a cage trap and a bait to capture the spider.
The spider was too smart to fall for the one. She kept avoiding the traps and getting out after disassembling the bait.

Method 2: Using a bridge to smash the spider.
Nosebusted wouldn't trip the pressure plates, and the bridges stayed as they were. A second attempt using levers was equally disappointed.
The picture shows a small portion of the carnage. I had probably lost about five dwarves by then, and the mason had to work around the clock to pump out the coffins.

Method 3: Retracting a bridge beneath the spider's feet.
In the previous picture, you can see the pit being mined out. The pit was originally going to be at least 15 z-levels deep, but at a mere 4-levels deep I found an unexpected aquifer. I knocked out the damp walls from above, and the pit filled with water.
That was the easy part. I sent peasant after peasant to lure the spider on the bridge and hopefully survive long enough to keep the spider on the bridge when the level-pulling dwarf finally arrives. I started sending out the peasants in pairs, which bought a little time but still wasn't enough.
Once, I got lucky and a passing dwarf pulled the level at the right time. The rest is history:

The next challenge is the kobolds, again. I found an entrance to their filthy cave system at the same z-level as my main entrance. One problem- I have to bridge across the canyon. The empty tile above the unbuilt floor tile was a built floor tile that collapsed, taking one of my better masons with it. His corpse lies next to the brook at the bottom.