Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make elves use better items?  (Read 2136 times)

ToastGoats

• Bay Watcher
  • Good/evil embarks should have zombie unicorns.
    • View Profile
How to make elves use better items?
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:12:02 pm »

Since DF is simply too easy ¤"Masterwork" joke¤
I was wondering if anyone has a mod or two that makes elves a little bit more fun.

Particularly because I am trying to get my friends to play Dwarf Fortress and because I'm a mildly horrible person.
The day my first titan arrived is the day I'll never forget.
I prepared all my squads.
All the archers.
All the macedwarves.
I knew it was going to be an unforgettable fight.
And then the caravan killed it.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make elves use better items?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »

Give the wood some material properties that aren't kack. Elves are breaking the laws of physics in the way they sculpt them from living things anyway, nobody else would gain power overwhelming from pine blades that cut like bronze.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »

You can make their tissues out of bronze (copy bronze tissue from bronze colossus) and give them legendary dodger, as well as dragon breath from dragons.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:46 am »

You can give them steel reactions. They will make steel (armor, weapons) but that weighs down their caravans. I unfortunately don't know the modding to make their caravans support their steel industry.

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:13:38 am »

You can make their tissues out of bronze (copy bronze tissue from bronze colossus) and give them legendary dodger, as well as dragon breath from dragons.

I feel as if those elves should also have
 [AMBUSHPREDATOR][BUILDINGDESTROYER:2][CRAZED][EVIL][LIKES_FIGHTING][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][NOPAIN]
As well as    [PET_EXOTIC][MOUNT_EXOTIC]
Insert Witty Signature Here.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:41:46 am »

I feel as if those elves should also have
 [AMBUSHPREDATOR][BUILDINGDESTROYER:2][CRAZED][EVIL][LIKES_FIGHTING][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][NOPAIN]
As well as    [PET_EXOTIC][MOUNT_EXOTIC]

Believe it or not, most of that stuff isn't that difficult to fight or even meaningful on an invading civ, as many Fortress Defense civs are already similarly buffed. It does ramp up the !!!FUN!!! though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:11:41 pm »

LIKES_FIGHTING doesn't work any more, just FYI.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:01:19 am »

also the elves need TRAP_AVOID to be as powerful as invading fortress defense races. if you want them really powerful you could also give them reactions to make adamantium-like armor and weapons out of something you can not melt down
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:17:37 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:13 am »

Elves have [GOOD] animals, so you could also give them some kind of beak-dog equivalent creature, like an Elven Mammoth or Ents or something. 

Supposedly, one could ditch the elves' normal wooden weapons and give them a reaction that turns wood into ironwood or bronzewood that have metal-like properties, but I'm always unsure of how the system decides to give them a material for trade/siege.  If you made ironwood a smelter reaction and gave them smelter access, they would probably be able to use raw metals like iron, copper and silver as well. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:25:55 am »

Supposedly, one could ditch the elves' normal wooden weapons and give them a reaction that turns wood into ironwood or bronzewood that have metal-like properties, but I'm always unsure of how the system decides to give them a material for trade/siege.  If you made ironwood a smelter reaction and gave them smelter access, they would probably be able to use raw metals like iron, copper and silver as well.

How possible is it to make such metal quality woods? I've always wanted to play elves in fortress mode, but I felt that lack of viable materials makes this mostly a crapshoot.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:59:56 am »

it is very possible. you just edit the material properties of the wood directly on the plant. maybe you can also make a new template if you want to have several of these woods.

if you are going to use this in fortress mode there isnt really any problem with it, you just need to have reactions that can make weapons/armor from wood.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:34:32 am »

The current build of Furry Fortress has a bunch of woods that don't use the regular template in the plant_acesv file.  Ironwood has iron's material properties, Blade Bough is obsidian, White Oak is based on material properties for real life oak, which is a little tougher than the DF default, Ebony is denser, Calamander and Boxwood are more valuable.  Some of them are kinda screwy.  Ironwood shows up as trade goods, but I've never seen it growing naturally.  Boxwood is also mysteriously MIA.  A bunch of them are supposed to have distinct colors, but they only show up as logs, not when they're growing. 

Now, supposedly, real life wood is not that bad of a weapon.  Imagine, say, a baseball bat in melee combat.  The default DF wood is not really based on anything, and it's pretty weak compared to hardwoods like oak or hickory that medieval weapons were made of, or the whacky ironwoods that grow in the New World and tropics.  We discussed this a bit here.  Also, I've never looked into this, but wooden combat weapons are typically fire-hardened, which would change the material properties further.  So if you can accurately convey wood material properties to the DF engine, you don't need to outright cheat and base them on metals. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.