Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I prevent werebeasts from fighting?  (Read 1127 times)

mixtrak

How do I prevent werebeasts from fighting?
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:48:06 pm »

A werebeast attacked, and infected a soldier. No problem - quarantined. After a few years, I decided she might like some company, so used her to infect her sister.

When they transform, however, sometimes they fight one another. One will bleed to death and I'll savescum. They're both in the same squad but off-duty (no orders or schedule). Keeping them occupied with jobs doesn't seem to make a different - whether they attack one another on any given transformation event seems to be random.

I thought were-beasts of the same species were generally not hostile to one another? Suggestions on how to prevent them fighting?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How do I prevent werebeasts from fighting?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »

From what I've heard, they are not hostile to each other in wereform, but when they see each other while transforming back to dwarf (edit), they can go hostile (because they probably see the other still as werecreature for a split frame). Best you can do is separate them before full moon arrives so they don't see each other transform.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:00:01 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:00:31 pm »

I slightly edited the post and linked the wiki page under the spoiler. It contains useful info for you, especially under the 'werebeast military' header.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 03:31:27 am »

An unsubstantiated guess is that they sometimes don't transform exactly at the same time, so the first transformer sees a "legitimate" target and then won't let go of that notion when the other transforms.
It ought to be possible to check this guess by single stepping during transformation (probably a lot of save scumming required to get the timing right).