Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Burialgranite  (Read 3166 times)

mixtrak

The Chronicles of Burialgranite
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »

The Founding of Ostarlolok

Let me tell you the story of Ostarlolok, 'Burialgranite', a great fortress made by the race of dwarves.

Boksmata, 'The Absolute Realms', was a large world, savage but plentiful. The dwarves of Cerol Nosing, 'The Lenses of Brushing', had been pushed to the extreme south by plentiful megabeasts and marauding goblins, and their situation was dire. But in the year 550 there arose within that civilisation a dwarf most cunning and ruthless, who burned with the desire to build a great empire for Cerol Nosing. After some political maneuverings, the Monarch granted him the position of Overseer, and he assembled seven stout pioneers to found a new settlement and expand the borders of their kingdom. They set off for an outlying wilderness which, the cartographers assured them, held abundant resources. They called themselves Tabarkel, 'The Faithful Metal', and this was their caravan:

Nil "Yoreflag" Okangsolon, the fort's Chief Medical Dwarf, was skilled in all the medical arts, and was one of the group's miners. A dour, pessimistic soul, she cared little for friendship or family and yet was compassionate and warm.

Iden "Swordamaze" Dastotedos, the other miner, was also skilled in the manufacture of metal weapons and armour. An intelligent, conscientious, social and self-sufficient sort, he was also the group's Expedition Leader and the only male dwarf among the founding seven. His only flaw was an extreme greed.

Ùshrir "Dikefame" Imushbelal was the group's farmer and brewer. Calm, determined, pragmatic and antisocial, she was, along with Iden, the equal youngest of the group, born in 499.

Ilral "Craftstakes" Rigòthenkos was skilled in the arts of woodworking: a woodcutter, carpenter and wood crafter. A meek, nervous dwarf, she nevertheless had a subtle mind and a strong intuition.

Dakost "Tradedstirs" Nishedan was the Militia Commander of Tabarkel, stout of body and strong of limb. Brash, stubborn and quick to anger, she wielded her silver war hammer with ferocious power in defence of her comrades.

Edëm "Townwiped" Amostrôber was to feed the smelters and work the leather armour of the new outpost. An unpleasant, narrow-minded and stingy individual, she was nevertheless determined and unflappable under pressure. She was the oldest of the group, born in 463.

Finally, there was Stukos "Blizzardchannels" Zolakcatten, the mason, stonecrafter and mechanic. Carefree and easygoing, she was moved more by the excitement of adventure than by the rewards of hard work.

After preparing basic rations, supplies and equipment, under the Overseer's direction they set off for their new home, following the maps of Cerol Nosing's Royal Surveyor-General. They found it to be a promising site, on the edge of a mountain plateau: the lowlands to the West grew abundant lumber, while a brook ran through the central highlands, promising unlimited clean water. The site was clear of danger, although the dwarves knew they had to dig quickly as deadly creatures were never far away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They struck the earth and founded Ostarlolok, "Burialgranite". The first order of business was to bring everything inside, ere the yetis grew hungry…

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Burialgranite
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:18:36 am »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »

I like the story so far!
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:22:31 am »

I really like it. Quite a cliffhanger at the end....  :)
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

lunephile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »

PTW. Really like your writing style.