Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELL  (Read 1102 times)

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
HELL
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »

Due to my idiocy i have accidentally released hell. I shall try to seal off the caverns but most likely this is the end. My military has no adamantine but does have steel. Goodbye cruel world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELL
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:28:17 am »

Don't give up!  As long as there are picks there's a way.  Time to form the biggest, most elaborate, multi-layer deathtrap a dwarf has ever dreamed.  Or maybe just a 2-3 stage one with room to build more in case the first two fail.  I'd give you my most successful method but it requires an artifact door.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Circus
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:19 am »

Er, spoilers.  (;P)

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:51:52 am »

Don't give up!  As long as there are picks there's a way.  Time to form the biggest, most elaborate, multi-layer deathtrap a dwarf has ever dreamed.  Or maybe just a 2-3 stage one with room to build more in case the first two fail.  I'd give you my most successful method but it requires an artifact door.

The fort died and it went out in a whimper. Oh i fought brought maybe 30 of the 50 something demons down which is actually pretty good. In the end though all i had left was the mayor who brought down 2 demons but not enough.
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:28:05 am »

Tragic.  But you have my respect for seeing it through to the end.

sivistojko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 04:01:26 am »

I'm a new player, but still I would like to recommend occasional to frequent saving the game just in case something goes horribly wrong just because...reasons. I know it may be cheating or what not, but I would rather just reload the save game then to restart my entire weekly progress just because as accident happened.

On the topic: Even if you could defeat the demons, I still wouldn't recommend going there because of permanent fps drop. Same goes with caverns. By the way, does every hell on every map contain vault?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:04:04 am by sivistojko »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:31:19 am »

I'm a new player, but still I would like to recommend occasional to frequent saving the game just in case something goes horribly wrong just because...reasons. I know it may be cheating or what not, but I would rather just reload the save game then to restart my entire weekly progress just because as accident happened.

You don't have to lose your week's worth of effort. Reclaim and attempt to gain back you fortress. It's really fun to sneakily (well as sneaky as dwarves) wall of a quarantined area and attempt to salvage the materials you left behind so that you can defeat what ended your fort.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:44:21 am »

On the topic: Even if you could defeat the demons, I still wouldn't recommend going there because of permanent fps drop. Same goes with caverns. By the way, does every hell on every map contain vault?
I am a firm believer against that. The motto of this community is Losing is Fun. When your fort is collapsing you try your best to save it but you never never savescum. Half  the fun in this game is seeing how you lose.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:03:18 am »

You can play using different styles, from never restoring a save except to recover from corruption, to save scumming at every mishap. You can also use different styles depending on what your objectives for the current fortress are.
One reason to save scum is to try to find out what happened when something has gone wrong, so you can learn something from it.

To answer sivistojko: I've never seen a vault, and I think that's something from an earlier DF version (the current circus is actually quite boring from a contents point of view). There are things called vaults that you can (sort of) find with e.g. Legends Viewer, but I think those aren't located downstairs (I've never encountered one). There are also things called temples. However, I think both of these are really adventure mode things, since you can't intentionally embark on top of them unless adventure mode investigations has shown you where to embark.
Funnily enough, I haven't suffered massive FPS drain when I've breached or conquered the circus: a full size topside invasion has been a lot worse.