Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma responds to pressure now?  (Read 1032 times)

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma responds to pressure now?
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

In the last few versions, I happily channeled magma right to my smithing operation, confident that lava did not respond to "pressure" like water.  On my last fortress, this did not work as smoothly.  As soon as the lava hit "7/7," it kept pouring in... and broke the surface, maiming many of my dwarves.  Is this new behavior, something I missed earlier, or a bug?

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma responds to pressure now?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

uhh. uh oh. hmm did this get changed? I JUST filled a channel with magma and built my forge around it. will it..'overflow' now? it's built near the bottem of a tall column of magma.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »

If you dig a tunnel on one Z-level, (such as on the same level as the workshop and the magma are on) and then bring that tunnel down 1 Z, and then make the hole above that lowered Z, it will fill back up to it's original height (to the level of the workshop, for example)

It's because of the "U bends in tunnel make infinite liquid/magma" because the pressure system doesnt know how to handle it.

Protip for any kind of channeling: Keep it on the same Z, G.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

Every time we channel off a cone of magma and it's not overflowing, Pascal spins in his grave.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MyBeardIsOnFire:
<STRONG>Every time we channel off a cone of magma and it's not overflowing, Pascal spins in his grave.</STRONG>

Maybe magma in DF has very high viscosity, along with a strong surface tension that barely lets it move though those narrow magma tunnels we Dwarves like to dig?

o matter the cost.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:52:00 pm »

Actually, it would work if magma and air were equally dense. That doesn't explain why lava fails to float in air (for example, when you cavein roof of a magma tube and lava splashes everywhere...), and it also implies that water is more dense than lava (O_o), but otherwise, it's a serviceable explanation...
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".