Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do I never find only a little gold?  (Read 1319 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Why do I never find only a little gold?
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:04:54 pm »

I have noticed that whenever I strike gold, I always do so in extreme abundance.  Several hundred tiles across multiple zeds, with each nugget in turn producing 4 bars.  Silver doesn't have those kinds of numbers, even when I strike both Galena & Native.  So what is it about gold that causes it to be so prolific?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I never find only a little gold?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:18:51 pm »

I guess it replicates the style in which gold is found during a gold rush: One huge lode where all the dwarves go to satisfy their auric thirst?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »

I guess it replicates the style in which gold is found during a gold rush: One huge lode where all the dwarves go to satisfy their auric thirst?
Its so abundant though that you can end up making practically everything decorative out of gold, which is pretty crazy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:50:36 pm »

If a layer can contain mineral veins, it's going to contain a lot of them, and if there's only one material to choose from, then they're all going to be made of that. If you increase mineral frequency, then each particular type of ore will tend to be less common (in order to make room for the others).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »

There are also two ways that minerals will pop; by far the most common is veins, but I have seen forts (like my current fort) where small pockets form.  My chert layers contain pockets of 3-5 gold widely spaced.  I've also only seen platinum pop that way, rather than as full veins.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.