Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan on fire  (Read 1795 times)

MansionOfSlaves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Caravan on fire
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:54 am »

Hi all,

i am not sure if this is a bug or an extremely FUNNY feature.
As the dwarven caravan unloads goods the trade depot catches fire, but only if above ground. Underground Depot gives some smoke but then i can trade. However as the caravan is unloading a second fire starts from the map edge which i can not suppress.
This seems to be linux specific, i am running 0.42.06 on arch linux, all vanilla no tileset heresy or such.
I copied a save from a friend who runs 0.42.06 on windows and the issue did not occur. However every world generated on my machine so far with this version shows mentioned behaviour.
Any suggestions on how to research properly what is going on and decide wether to file a bug report?
I read about issues with magma bags being traded, but i did not see this item in the traders inventory and it would not explain the fire from the map edge imho.

Although everything on fire has clearly its upsides i would prefer it no to be on fire.

Thanks a lot for Your help.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan on fire
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:18:30 am »

"They must be bringing in some hot deals"

This seems awfully familiar. Do they bring in firesnakes ?

MansionOfSlaves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:19:51 am »

I will check it next autumn. But even if they did there should not be a fire starting from the map edge, right?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:54 pm »

I will check it next autumn. But even if they did there should not be a fire starting from the map edge, right?
Was it top left edge? If so, fire snakes are definitely an answer. Would explain why they don't start fires underground as well.

MansionOfSlaves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:26:03 pm »

It was left edge, somewhere in the middle. This time only smoke from the Depot but no fire, it was built underground. No fire from the map edge either...
Also no fire snakes. I guess its not a bug, but i definitely do not know what is going on there.

Thanks a lot for Your help

l0ser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:58 am »

This happened to me 4 times in a row, in 2 separate regions :D

Dwarven (and dwarven only) caravans start fire immediately after entering map or at the depot. In one case both.

Elves are behaving like a bros but dorfs try to burn me each time they pay a visit. They do not carry anything weird like fire snakes or fire imps.

Also, it is not Linux specific. I've started playing vanilla 42.05 on Win and this happens every single time. I will try to move everything into the cavern, we will see what happens.

Who can stop the forest fires?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was inevitable

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:41:02 am »

This happened to me 4 times in a row, in 2 separate regions :D

Dwarven (and dwarven only) caravans start fire immediately after entering map or at the depot. In one case both.

Elves are behaving like a bros but dorfs try to burn me each time they pay a visit. They do not carry anything weird like fire snakes or fire imps.

Also, it is not Linux specific. I've started playing vanilla 42.05 on Win and this happens every single time. I will try to move everything into the cavern, we will see what happens.

Turn off temperature and see if the problem persists.  If the fires stop, it's something really hot the caravan is carrying in bins or barrels.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:00:05 pm »

Sometimes they try to bring Magma, too... there's a really obscure interation where if they somehow get shipped a unit of magma (it appears as a discrete object under certain unusual circumstances and can, in theory, be shipped to them by a site either under dwarf mode or in worldgen) then the civ has 'access' to it forevermore and will try to ship it to you.

It sets the container they put it in (usually a bag) on fire as soon as it hits the map.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007