Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed.. (Toady, you sneaky... thanks!)  (Read 1249 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Has anyone else noticed.. (Toady, you sneaky... thanks!)
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:00 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that mining labour and woodcutting labour does not interfere with being assigned to a squad anymore?
Apparently a sneak fix was introduced for it, or I missed it while reading update notes.

My miners are in a squad. If I put their squad schedule to active / training, they will pick up masterpiece picks that I assigned to their uniforms, and use these for combat, and sparring when ordered to train in the barracks.

If their squad is set to inactive, they will drop their masterwork pickaxes, and pickup available spare pickaxes, and happily mine even though they are still assigned to the squad.

Only caveat would be that once they grow attached to their picks through training, it's gonna take micromanaging to make them drop it, smelt it down and give them a new one.

I didn't notice it sooner because kicking miners from a squad when mining needs to be done is so autopilot for me haha.
That's one really long standing issue out of the way. Awesome!

EDIT: it looks like it is fixed by overriding the inactive = uniformed setting in the schedule screen, so that miners are always un-uniformed when inactive. They'll not pick up shields or wear armor while not active/training
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:46:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed.. (Toady, you sneaky... thanks!)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:23 pm »

Woot!!! :D

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:35:11 pm »

Well, that's pretty nice to know. No more screwiness when sending my miners to war is always nice.

Though I wonder if this has to do with my recent incident where assigning a hunter as a woodcutter lead to the guy beating emus up with a training ax until he passed out.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:07:37 pm »

Maybe it's a bug?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:05 pm »

Well, that's pretty nice to know. No more screwiness when sending my miners to war is always nice.

Though I wonder if this has to do with my recent incident where assigning a hunter as a woodcutter lead to the guy beating emus up with a training ax until he passed out.

Related, but not the same. A dwarf can only wear one tool. Just like you cannot assign both woodcutting and mining to a dwarf, you also cannot combine hunting properly with either (that uses crossbow as a tool).

I do suspect however that you now can also use hunters in a marksdwarf squad. Haven's tested yet, but I suspect they;ll be marksmen when active/training, and hunting while inactive. They'd probably use different quivers for the two modes, which might make picking up ammo quirky.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »

...Hasn't this always been the case, since 0.31?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:18:00 pm »

Haven't there been bugs since 31?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 07:31:23 pm »

Small addendum: If you have a designated barracks which is set for the miners' squad for training, your miners will drop their tool picks and grab their weapon picks for individual combat training when their squad is inactive. So when you want them to mine, make sure there is no training barracks for the squad.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:32:47 pm »

Ah, that explains some odd behavior I've seen.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!