Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: how do i download this game??? is it free?  (Read 7596 times)

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: how do i download this game??? is it free?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 01:27:18 am »

Alright, i am getting the hang of it. I got a little underground base with beds, a table and chairs made, my miners are digging through a caravan deep underground, and I have my wood, gems, weapons and other stockpiles set up.

But I have a question about trading: How do I view how much cash I have? Also, when I trade, I select the items I want and then it has a "view stockpiles" option on the bottom of the screen. when I press that key, it lists a bunch of red numbers, what does that mean?

and then there's this screen that lists all the items I selected with a yellow percentage next to them, at the top of the percentage it says "price" although I don't really understand what that means.

About my weapons stockpile, how do I equip them to my dwarves?

I figured out the difference between Jobs, labors and skills and how to change the labors of my dwarves. I also learned that dwarves earn experience in skills, which is pretty cool.
For your first question there is no such thing as "cash" persay. You could mint coins, and that might be worth something, but thats the only real definition of cash. Every item you take in or export has a value attached to it, which varies based on material types, and how well your dwarves put them together. General crafts tend to be valuable, but weapons and armor are even more so. Anything with a sharp edge is extremely valuable.

For the view stock screen, red numbers are things you have, but are tied to the fort preventing them from being traded. Like a bed built in a bedroom, or a weapon of some description in use by one of your dwarves. You have a count of how many you have, but you can't sell or move an installed bed.

Weapons are only equipped by military dwarves which leads to a simple, and extremely convoluted interface known as the squads menu, accessed by S if I remember correctly. Best to look it up on the wiki. "It is terrifying". It recently got a bit better being able to assign specific things to specific dwarves, but it's still hit and miss.

The screen with all the "price" percentages is you setting up, or receiving a trade agreement with your liason. On your stage, you can request things from the dwarven caravan for them to bring in higher quantity/priority next year.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but at the bottom of my screen it keeps repeatedly saying, "So and So cancels give food: no food available" when I have a lot of food in my food stockpiles.

Be sure that there's actually food, and not seeds in the stockpile. Seeds are by default forbidden to be cooked or eaten, and some seeds simply can't be eaten.
I suggest creating a zone with the I menu, and set it up on the outside, enabling plant gathering. It's a pretty easy way to keep your dwarves from starving until you get a proper farm going with competent (or greater) farmers.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:29:36 am by Admiral Obvious »
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 02:38:06 am »

barring savegame curruption. That used to be a thing in the old days.

I have a hundred gigabytes of archived saves just for this reason. When I want to check something which happened say 5 game years back in my fort, all I need is to find the hard drive it is archived on. The same is something gets corrupted ;)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 03:45:34 am »

I think the "cancels give food/water" is a bit bugged at the moment. I've seen it happen with no wounded dwarves, so i'm just guessing they're trying to give it to a sleeping dwarf, then canceling when they realize they don't need to.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 04:01:31 am »

Alright, i am getting the hang of it. I got a little underground base with beds, a table and chairs made, my miners are digging through a caravan deep underground, and I have my wood, gems, weapons and other stockpiles set up.

But I have a question about trading:
1/ How do I view how much cash I have?
2/ Also, when I trade, I select the items I want and then it has a "view stockpiles" option on the bottom of the screen. when I press that key, it lists a bunch of red numbers, what does that mean?
3/ and then there's this screen that lists all the items I selected with a yellow percentage next to them, at the top of the percentage it says "price" although I don't really understand what that means.
4/ About my weapons stockpile, how do I equip them to my dwarves?
5/ I figured out the difference between Jobs, labors and skills and how to change the labors of my dwarves. I also learned that dwarves earn experience in skills, which is pretty cool.

All these questions you're asking are why DwarfFortress is considered "hard" : the game expects a lot of you right off the bat.
There are no tutorial like in "other games" such as : hit X to swing a sword. Good. Btw, your hp are low, use a potion. Now for this ennemy, use some magic.
The game expects you to know everything, when you know nothing Jon Snow.
But slowly, you will make it ;)

4/ For military, it's the 'm' key (and 's' key to command your militia). It opens a very clear detailled clustered menu where you set everything related to war. From the composition of your troups to very specific things, like for instance, whether your militia commander should defend the main gate or train the recruits on Obsidian (dwarven December).
If you mess up with this menu. Just read a tutorial blindly... For now ^^

5/ Yeah, I know. It's amazing :) And you don't know yet how injuries work in this game (hint : there are no hps)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:03:41 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:15 am »

At the beginning of the game, the trade screen will not show the value (☼ ) of goods, but only their weight (¸Γ).
To know how much the goods you are trading are worth, you need to assign a broker in the (n)obles screen. Once this broker gets some basic skill in appraising, you will henceforth be able to see not only the weight, but also the value of goods in the trade screen.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 06:49:35 am »

Once this broker gets some basic skill in appraising
Which should be the first time that broker opens a trade dialogue. If things haven't changed, then the Appraisal skill gets EXP when a dwarf evaluates merchant items at the trade depot.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 01:13:33 pm »

I believe my broker actually took two caravans to start to evaluate stuff...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 01:22:02 pm »

I believe my broker actually took two caravans to start to evaluate stuff...
That's why the other dwarves laugh at him behind his back.

Urist: Domas is sooo stupid, it took him two caravans to learn how much a plump helmet is worth.
Sibrek: Yeah, he's well named, he sure is a dumb ass.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »

don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

Sigged.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2016, 06:43:35 am »

That is why my designated expedition leader gets a point in appraising before we leave.

Also, if your broker thinks he has something better to do than trading, it doesn't hurt to enable "everyone can trade". And you should always offer around 50% more in wealth than you buy, to be on the safe side.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 02:39:39 pm »

would advise this Youtube tutorial as it covers pretty much everything you need from setting up lazy newb pack to buiding a functional fort. It is also very well labeled so you can just skip to whatever part you need help on . https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »

Or, use the Quickstart guide for Fortress mode. It covers the basic setup of getting your dwarves in, dealing with stockpiles and workshops, building stuff, using the manager, getting food and booze ready, setting up security and much more. The only disadvantage of the wiki IMO is that the layout is in ASCII, rather than the graphics pack you're probably using.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*
Pages: 1 2 [3]