Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hematite  (Read 2343 times)

Master BOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hematite
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 4bh0r53n:
<STRONG>

I prefer to use 3 legendary stonecrafters and 2 legendary masons to keep my stone levels down</STRONG>

The difference is that you only can keep up with a hand full legendary dwarves. I just have 5 or 6 all together, and therefor cannot possibly use so many stones.
Even if, what would i do with all these blocks? Bringing stones to the masonry, carve then and then stocking them is double work. Just that it saves space, but that isn't the problem on such huge maps. Besides, I need all my wood for food/drink barrels. And you can't tell me you use up all stone for furniture (I don't even craft them, because I have so much stuff that I can't get rid of it).
So sure, if you happen to have these legendary guys and enough wood, you may craft, carve or whatever to store them in bins. If not, using the "search-corridors" for something useful would be the easier way I guess.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

How about using all those stone blocks to pave the entire outside area?  
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Master BOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

Heh, that could be fun. But my masons (including my smutje, who became a legendary mason for some reason) are still busy with making coffers and cabinets for my 150 Dwarves. And since my fortress is in an "untamed wilds" area, I don't really want them to make the woods a fine marketplace or something (could be funny if I could see the elven faces, though). These damn wolves always kill my poor novice hunter-peasants by attacking one with 3-5 of them   :(.

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:00 am »

Sadly I am in the same situation as ryak2002. Craploads of platinum and very little hematite. Luckily I found a small pocket, but now it's all gone.   :confused:

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

I agree: storing stone as blocks is lots of work for naught. How about artillery training?

I once calculated that it takes about 600 stones to bring a siege operator to legendary status; in my most recent fortress (which I didn't even touch for a while) artillery training probably consumed more stone than all furniture and crafts taken together.

I was able to find all ores I need, but I literally had to completely dig out one half of the area between chasm and magma. As a result, there's still like 6000 stones around. They're not in the way or something, but since Toady stated that game speed very much depends on the number of items in the fortress, I wondered if I should probably waste a few more.

Pages: 1 [2]