Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Roll to Die: The End of Times - Labyrinth  (Read 2726 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Die: The End of Times - Labyrinth
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 08:06:16 pm »

Bump.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 01:58:14 am »

Labyrinth
Corridors

Walking upon the road of oblivion is hard and unforgiving endeavor.

Inael
After several turns and few small, empty halls laid with ancient dust, you find a shrine dedicated to some forgotten deity. Judging from its ruined, desecrated state, any treasures there once were are long gone. Statue of a goddess, a strangely shaped bipedal of canine descent (nearly a head taller than you), is heavily eroded, features and power within lost to the passage of time. You offer a prayer, hoping for good luck in your journey, but nothing answers. Shrugging, leave this solemn place.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Osbourne
Your way leads you into ancient halls of dead civilization. Silence welcomes you and walks beside, waiting for you to pass. You already lost count of corridor turns when suddenly, you notice a tall figure coming from beside the corner and towards you. Before you can react, it stops and silently stares at the tome in your hands. You stare in turn, taking in your new acquaintance. He is human as well, about a head taller than you, possibly reaching seven feet. His overly muscular hands seem chained to the two poorly-crafted handaxes he holds. He has no armor to speak of, clad only in some white animal furs. Judging from them and the harsh, scarred appearance, it must be a barbarian from the wastes to the South of your old world. What could have lead him here is a question you have no time to ponder on.
"You're mage."
You feel slightly intimidated by his booming voice. Something deep inside yourself stirs and you feel that you really, really need to run. But you get no chance to.
"Mages caused this shit. I'll kill every one of them."
His murderous rage hits you like a weapon, paralyzing for a moment - quite enough for barbarian to raise his axes upwards and roar a thunderous warcry before rushing at you:
"FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

First axe flies true, yet you deflect it with your Tome, resulting strike slightly grazing your shoulder... And perfectly opening you for the next one. Axe buries itself deep into your torso, hacking chainmail, several ribs and who knows what else into bloody pieces. Pain is overwhelming, yet somehow you remain conscious and your body - functional. But who knows, for how long?

Doctor Faustenstein
Indeed, things unknown must be abundant here - the very first hall you walk into is covered by thick black mist which surges heavily in the air. At the center of the hall lies a stone snake, its head pierced and pinned to the floor by a heavy-looking greatsword, its blade entirely black and handle encrusted with bloodstones. A magical item, perhaps?
Mist does not seem dangerous by itself - while it is obviously cursed, you deduce that in this amounts it is harmless to anything bigger than a mice unless under prolonged exposure. You're not quite sure about the sword.

Urgbras
As you enter the dark corridor, you're met with a resounding low moan. Wondering what the hell might it be, you trod onwards before meeting your adversary - a slow-moving corpse of some humanoid, its features no longer recognizable, its rotten smell terrible enough even for your goblin nose.

With your trusty dirk, you dance around slow-moving rotten flesh, stabbing relentlessly and searching for some weak point you could use. You find none. You have to practically dismember zombie before it finally stops moving. A tiring victory, yet victory it is. You shudder while thinking about possibility of going against several undead at once.

Bob Tod
Pondering on the concept of rebirth and cycle of life, you walk into the fleshy halls. At first, denizens of the realm seem vary of you, as you see exactly zero of them, but soon, one creeps towards you. It's a mass of twisting, fleshy tentacles which seeks your flesh with toothy little mouths on their ends.

You try to punch it into oblivion, as wrestling is an obviously insane choice, yet armor mostly prevents you from pursuing not very agile thing while it bites you in abandon. Which, thankfully, doesn't work thanks to the very same armor.

Dignus
You follow the central path, trying to stay clear of the more vicious-looking corridors. Inside the third room, you finally saw some shapeless denizens of this strange place, yet they refused to crawl outside the oozy depths of slime pit. Perhaps, for the better?

When your first interest wanes and you start feeling that slime halls are objectively not very different from normal ones, an acidic green creature seeps towards you, its intentions clearly stated by the half-dissolved remains visible inside.

Allowing creature to make first move, you cut away a part of its shivering body, in spite of its attempt to make it solid. Dodging another clumsy strike, you make a grand finisher, practically splattering slime remains across the ground. You notice with content sign that your katana was not dissolved, acid too mild to eat away at metal.

Raercath
Bones seem quite old and brittle, its a miracle these tunnels still stand as they are. You notice several interesting things about your surroundings. First, a dark light that emanates from the eldest bones, feels calming to your skull sockets. Second, you feel somewhat invigorated by the presence of other remains. Feels like...

A screeching bark is heard and a big skellhound - a braindead creature often found in places with concentrated death energy - runs at you. It is quite unsure of what to do, as you register as both aligned and unaligned to death energies of this place. Something tells you that other creatures may not be as stupid.

David Shaw
As you approach, walls visibly tremble and slowly slide away, letting you pass. Not wasting a moment, you walk in and follow a long corridor. Chamber that waits at its end is mostly empty bar a strange metallic insect, that stirs at your approach and hums violently. Does it seek battle?

As you try to crush strange insect, it suddenly leaps above your guard and bites your arm, its powerful steel appendages bruising flesh through the armor. Enraged, you try to catch the bug with your mace, yet it moves erratically and is small enough that you have difficulties aiming properly. It jumps few more times, yet you catch it with your shield and finally dispatch it with a well-aimed blow.

Now, we got some examples of luck extremes, several copycats (two players got exactly same roll results, two more players differ from them only superficially) and, finally, free time on my hands. New updates should follow much more consistently.

Added swarm concept and minimal BR - with all bonuses and maluses, total can't exceed -10. Added Exploration explanation.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 02:28:29 am »

Raercath wants to avoid fighting where he may, and instead shambles past the hound, attempting to look as dead as possible.

Pass the fight, and continue down the same path. If that isn't an option, go back and down the slime path.

Autobattle Ender: Whenever he can leave the combat safely.
Exploration Target: Still loot, and possibly a companion. Even skellymen get lonely sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:39:47 am by DigitalDemon »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33:38 am »

David shrugs, picks up the metal, and looks around once more before going back through the corridor, picking a random direction, and walking in it.

Autobattle Ender: David's HP going below 50% or killing the enemy.
Exploration Target: Loot. Weak enemies to get used to the Mace again.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 02:47:44 am »

((I'm fighting a tentacle monster inside a tunnel of flesh? I feel like some people in Japan might be interested in a Manga about my adventures.))

Keep fighting until monster dies, critical is recieved, or I'm at or below 30% HP. Maybe try to bite the monster once or twice, get some blood or flesh to fuel my magic.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:40 am »

((I'm fighting a tentacle monster inside a tunnel of flesh? I feel like some people in Japan might be interested in a Manga about my adventures.))

Maybe try to bite the monster once or twice, get some blood or flesh to fuel my magic.

((I'd be a great hit. Tentacle vs human, each eating the other...))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 07:45:47 am »

Exploration Target: Continue exploring the Ancient Corridor, anything interesting that is not useless.
Autobattle Ender: Below 30% Health, Receiving a Critical, or Disabling a Sentient Opponent, 3 turns pass.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 09:04:23 am »

It doesn't seem like there's much loot in these slime tunnels, so keep going through to see if there's anything on the other side.

Autobattle Ender: giving or receiving critical, getting below 30% health

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:57 am »

((Actually, this game could be a pretty good manga in its entirety. Just need a bit more plot.))

"... seriously? Can't you do better than that? CAN YOU NOT DO BETTER THAN THAT! This is the first time I've been seriously injured in years! BUT YOU DIDN'T EVEN FINISH ME OFF! Have some RESPECT!"

Osbourne raises his tome... then smashes it into the barbarian's chest.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 02:07:54 pm »

Seems like you stepped into the realm of undeath. Do you want to proceed?
Nope.
Exploration Target: West (to crossroads) then South. Looking for better loot than a spoon and better mugging victims than the living dead.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 11:18:24 am »

"Oh how interesting, how very intriguing. A cursed gas a stone snake and a magic sword. I have no use for a sword! No that's okay it must be studied nonetheless, yes it must. Turning flesh into stone is my hypothesis, we will see if it's correct."

Investigate a stone snake to find out what species it is, and if it shows any signs of once being alive.

Investigate a sword by poking and prodding it with a small testing stick including the blade. Do not touch it myself though.

Take a sample of the gas perhaps it can be replicated or distilled into something more lethal.

Write down meticulous but illegible to anyone but the doktor himself notes.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 02:32:11 am »

((Bump.))
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay
Pages: 1 2 [3]