Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video card is irralevant  (Read 1364 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Video card is irralevant
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:22 am »

Out of curiosity, I just tried playing DF remotely on a windows 2003 server with only standard vga adapter and it ran smoothly.
The only problem is I couldn't use tilesets bigger than 16x16, otherwise it glitched.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:30:59 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

MornieOhtar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Video card is irralevant
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:47:53 am »

Annnnnd?) Pretty obvious result
Just in case: If you used RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol, via "Connect to remote desktop") - it used some dumb built-it video drivers and don't really use your video card. Had same issues with Geforce 650i... xD
If you want to play DF remotedly (or any other game), try using TeamViewer. Iirc it even allowed me to play some more graphics-intensive games. Don't remember exact list, yet sure I was able to play Minecraft more or less smoothly - main problem was in my WiFI speed at "local" machine

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:06:23 am »

Oh, I see.
Yeah, anyway, I tried microsoft's RD client on android and it transfered several mega-bytes in a minute. So I suspected the screen was rendered on the server side.

I don't want to play it on a phone because the control is too awkward and the screen is too small.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:14:38 am »

I don't want to play it on a phone because the control is too awkward and the screen is too small.
There is a neat DF app for iPhone, I wish someone made the same for android.

Other than that, there is DFTerm, that allows to play remotely using telnet. No graphic pack support, but work pretty much on everything (one guy used a PC from mid 90s with it, client side of course) and allows multiple users to connect/watch/control. Also, way less traffic / way faster than RDP or VNC (which was not mentioned here, but is a better choice if you want your graphic sets). My only problem is that backspace was not working, because, you know, telnet.

MornieOhtar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:22 pm »

Well, VNC of TeamViewer - can't see much differents. They all differ from RPD - in their case, graphics really rendered server-side.
As for DFTerm... Dunno, still can't force myself to play without graphics set...=_= In other way problems with late game on 200+ dwarf fortress would be solved XD