Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon traps, the reckoning  (Read 3121 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon traps, the reckoning
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>I like using spiked balls. They kill things without chopping them up, so the bodies are just 1 item and not a messy pile of limbs. When I used the large serrated discs before, I would have a couple goblin thieves come by and my dwarves would fill my entire refuse pile with arms, legs, hands, feet, heads, lower bodies, upper bodies, etc. With spiked balls I just look over and see a pile of 4 bodies, instead of 40 assorted parts.</STRONG>

I had a room for releasing prisoners... Really just wild animals that got stuck in my traps that I didn't want to tame...
Just for fun I had put ten masterpiece obsidian shortswords in it... I did not know a groundhog even had that many pieces...

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I like using spiked balls. They kill things without chopping them up, so the bodies are just 1 item and not a messy pile of limbs. When I used the large serrated discs before, I would have a couple goblin thieves come by and my dwarves would fill my entire refuse pile with arms, legs, hands, feet, heads, lower bodies, upper bodies, etc. With spiked balls I just look over and see a pile of 4 bodies, instead of 40 assorted parts.
</STRONG>

Thats the part I enjoy the most about sieges, seeing the parts fly around =D

My traps are filled with at least 3 dismembering kind of weapons.  That's if I put any traps at all.  I'd rather have a standing army to protect my fortress though.  I just keep 2-3 squads per location to guard various places around the fortress all year long (rotating between seasons so they don't complain).

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

The people that chided my using of crossbow traps seemed to miss one very important thing: they are after at least 6 obsidian shortsword traps, and fulfill the same function as the stonefall traps which others have mentioned without needing a reload after firing ONCE.  The xbow traps I have don't fire often at all because of this, and need reloaded even less.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LordBucket:
<STRONG>Only one, but I make up for it with lots of traps. I've never tested, but I've generally assumed that the 'jam' test occurs for every individual weapon firing, so a trap with four weapons is more likely to jam than a trap with only one. So, if true, four traps with a single weapon each is somewhat better than one trap with four.
</STRONG>

i think this is wrong.  i used single weapon traps when my fortress was poor, and i found that they needed cleaning all the time.

then i started using tripple-bronze-disc traps, and i never had to clean them, because the corpses were chopped into such little bits and flung out of the traps.

one row of these would be good enough, except that traps have a "reload" time and large hords can overwhelm even the best traps.

3 rows seems to be quite sufficient, though.  especially if you leave some gaps between rows.

edit: my latest thing is using warhammers in traps, because i want to see enemies flung about and slamed against walls and made to explode.  havent had a chance to see them in action yet, though.  and sadly, dwarfs cant dwarfufacture any Mauls...

[ March 27, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

I think the mechanism quality might affect the jamming chance and reloading time.

I've had whole lines of enemys swarm over a single trap and pile up on it, and I think it may be because I am using masterpiece mechanisms. Or it could be the masterpiece trap components. Either way, quality seems to make a big difference.

For instance, my chasming hall leading to the chasm where all the ratmen invade from has a single trap on it, and I frequently get a pile of ratmen corpses on it before my haulers start dragging them off. I have yet to have a ratman get past it. One time my refuse pile was full and I ended up with an entire invasion of ratmen, around 35, all piled up on that one tile.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>One time my refuse pile was full and I ended up with an entire invasion of ratmen, around 35, all piled up on that one tile.</STRONG>

You better order your craftsdwarves to make those little green pine trees, cause things are about to get NASTY!

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

i thought you had to trade with the elves for those?

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>i thought you had to trade with the elves for those?</STRONG>

Hehehe, nicely put. Anyway, I really really appreciate everyone's input, and I have decided to, for now, make a few traps consisting of three obsidian short swords each, and those spiked balls later. Also, ColonelTEE3, what you said had me cracking up, thanks   :D

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 08:14:00 pm »

Dude!! Traps with 6 serrated discs!! Blood and guts  everywhere! I have yet to test the line of traps I have against a siege, but I'm sure my military will handle anything left over. Explosions I tell you!. I'm gonna try to get a 256 weapon trap, but that is for later...
Pages: 1 [2]