Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 1509 times)

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earthquakes
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

I dunno if anyone else has had such a thought, but what if this particular natural event happened in Dwarf Fortress?

Imagine having at least one a year in which these can happen: random cave-ins of your fortress, flooding, possible expansion of the chasm, creating of new ones, small veins of "later stage" (IE: adamantine) ores opening up nearby.

f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Hoo, I like this... and expand upon it that caverns may collapse if les than NxN (like greater than 6x6 will collapse now).

So in the event of an (insert-random-worldnam)quake, rooms smaller than, say, 3x3, will be safe from collapse, but a 20x20 room with only natural pillars (not supports) would risk collapse. Supports would be even more vulnerable!

Would have to be more rare, or of less severity though, else you end up rebuilding your fort every year.

Still, would be ANOTHER awesome random way for your dwarfs to die! Err... contribute to the rock in which they live.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

I'd like earthquakes, but only if they were geographically related.  Building a fortress in an active volcanic zone equals bad idea; building a fortress shouldn't otherwise spell doom.

Eventually other SimCity-like disasters might be interesting -- and even more interesting if we can trigger them ourselves!

Want to have your military get their kneecaps gnawed on?  Spawn an invasion of rhesus macaques.  Want to have something horrible go wrong?  Have the little child Rakust catch on fire because he was playing with matches.

Of course, this might make Dwarf Fortress a god game and not a strategy game. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>Hoo, I like this... and expand upon it that caverns may collapse if les than NxN (like greater than 6x6 will collapse now).

So in the event of an (insert-random-worldnam)quake, rooms smaller than, say, 3x3, will be safe from collapse, but a 20x20 room with only natural pillars (not supports) would risk collapse. Supports would be even more vulnerable!

Would have to be more rare, or of less severity though, else you end up rebuilding your fort every year.

Still, would be ANOTHER awesome random way for your dwarfs to die! Err... contribute to the rock in which they live.</STRONG>

Supports are designed to hold something up.  A natural rock pillar is more likely going to be weaker than a well crafted support.  Rock pillars can have fractures and weaknesses.  A support is built with those things (hopefully) left out.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:02:00 pm »

Yeah, we need positive incentives to use supports, not negative incentives.  Natural pillars are mostly taking advantage of gamist knowledge of the 7x7 collapse zone.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

It would be nice if supports were the better choice. Like, holding up larger roofs. I don't even need that as an incentive: supports are passable, and potentially beautiful. That would be enough reason for me, if only they were tantrum-proof. Or easier to replace at short notice.