Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most portentous name ever.  (Read 2026 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most portentous name ever.
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

The short story of my fortress in a single png:

"Deathweaver" was a randomly generated name... It was startlingly appropriate...

"A sandy forest overflowing with silk and dotted with magma lakes? It's like it's made of money! What could possibly go wrong?"

Werewolves.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Most portentous name ever.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

So a racoon stole a masterwork cloth, got a guy pissed, he killed everyone, and went on to get killed by a werewolf?

Or did the werewolf kill everyone and then the tanruming guy kill the werewolf?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »

i wouldn't be suprised if the dwarf continued his rampage and became the scourge of werewolves around the world

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

Well, I suppose this warrants more detail: the werewolf appeared out of nowhere and chased everyone around, and while they were distracted a raccoon stole Mr. Netplayed's masterpiece. He then went berserk and took out a bridge, as all good crazy dwarves do, and fell into the shallow moat. However at least three other dwarves were trying to run over that bridge in an attempt to escape the werewolf... they all stopped, dumbfounded, and proceeded to be slaughtered. By this time the four remaining dwarves had decided to go to sleep and three of them were slaughtered.

When I posted this topic, I had assumed that Deathweaver would end with, well, the death of my weaver... as he was clearly about to die... However, unpausing the game (just to end it so I could start a new fortress, so I thought) Netplayed went absolutely mad breaking the spine of the werewolf with six names.

So yeah, the tantruming guy killed the werewolf:

I was not expecting that...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

Looks like somebody just got a hermit fort to play!  Assuming the weaver eventually stops tantruming and doesn't die from starvation or thirst.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty:
<STRONG>i wouldn't be suprised if the dwarf continued his rampage and became the scourge of werewolves around the world</STRONG>

Why, funny you should mention!

Another werewolf popped up out of nowhere, so I drafted Limul and... ther werewolf ran away from him! I swear to god, he had to chase down the werewolf, break it's kneecaps knocked him unconscious and "wrestled" with the unconscious werewolf for at least two minutes (at ~60 FPS) before killing him...

quote:
Originally posted by RedWick
<STRONG>Looks like somebody just got a hermit fort to play! Assuming the weaver eventually stops tantruming and doesn't die from starvation or thirst.</STRONG>

Limul has all the amenities he'd need for years... I just might have to write this up if he keeps being so god damn awesome.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

you'd figure that killing a werewolf after it slaughtered your friends would be a happy thought, although i guess the realization you're the last dwarf alive will probably cancel that out

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

hehe i return to my previous statement about being a scourge ;)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

So much for that...

It's taking a while for him do actually die though...

Edit:

And so ends Deathweaver...

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Kugu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

What an awesome tragic story... I bet the Raccoon was an agent of Armok sent to send your fortress into this series of events. Blood for the blood god!
Quote: "Okay, got it, how do i brew beds."

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

I love how a single raccoon can bring about the death of a whole fortress. This games is t3h 4w3s0m3.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

Question about werewolves - has the transformation been implemented yet? You know, the whole 'you get bitten then you turn into a werewolf also' thing?

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Question about werewolves - has the transformation been implemented yet? You know, the whole 'you get bitten then you turn into a werewolf also' thing?</STRONG>

No, I dont think so, or we would be hearing epic tales of a fortress getting destroyed by random transformation.

Though lycanthropes would be all sorts of awesome.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>And so ends Deathweaver...</STRONG>

...with the death of your weaver...
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thingy Master:
<STRONG>

No, I dont think so, or we would be hearing epic tales of a fortress getting destroyed by random transformation.

Though lycanthropes would be all sorts of awesome.</STRONG>

It'd be great if lycanthropy worked like tantruming: A dwarf who'd been bitten would periodically transform and start attacking other dwarves, destroying buildings, etc. Eventually there might be an option (perhaps with the Dungeon Master?) to preemptively chain up dwarves who transform like that, and hope the chains are good enough quality for them not to break free. They could get unhappy thoughts from "seeing the carnage they unwittingly caused" and happy thoughts from "being restrained from horrific transformation."

And then of course the Alchemist could create a potion that would allow them to keep their minds when they transform. If taken regularly, you occasionally have a dwarf with a lot more size, strength, toughness, etc. who is generally an all-around badass... but if you run out of potion, look out!

Also there could be more than just werewolves. Werelions, werefoxes, weredragons, wereswallows, werecarp! (Werecarp would need a pond to avoid drowning in the air.)

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.