Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing pets/animals in cages and how to tame?  (Read 1278 times)

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
Capturing pets/animals in cages and how to tame?
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:30 pm »

Ive been trying for awhile now to cage some good pets like a helmet snake but i dont really know how. Do i have to put bait in the cage like a cat? Or should i get a dwarf to chase it into cage and if so how? Im in a savage hill i think and would like to tame/capture some of the giant species. Also i would like some tips on taming c:

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing pets/animals in cages and how to tame?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:29 pm »

Also my now current post"WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!" needs some attention so i can figure out why dwarf fortress suddenly hates my guts and is defying the rules of itself. So this post is useless to me unless i start a new embark. :U

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:07:31 pm »

If you want to catch larger animals you'll need to place down some cage traps in places you'd think they'd be most effective. Place quite a few as it may take some time, the animal has to wonder into the trap. Once you've captured the animal you want to train enter the 'z' menu (press z) and navigate to the animals tab (default has it already selected, just press enter). Locate the animal you wish to tame with the arrow keys and press 't' to select a trainer. Once it is tame you may press 'enter' to toggle its pet availability.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

Thanks! Ill try this in my next fort after i swap to adventure mode to see what happened to shaftguilds and if it happened anywhere else.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:00:29 am »

You also need at least one dorf with animal trainer enabled.

Some creatures can be lured with bait: check the wiki for each creature of interest. The kind of bait differs. Building destroyers path to stuff to destroy (doors being a common bait), booze guzzlers path to booze, food stealers path to food, thieves path to valuables, and some predators path to prey. Most creatures don't have anything they're drawn to, however.
Creatures are caught by them wandering into cage traps.
You can increase the chances of capturing wildlife by placing your traps at choke points where they have to pass through if the want to reach a section of the map, and you can guide them there by building walls. You can also try to observe their movement patterns to locate often used paths.