Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pony Punchers  (Read 1828 times)

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pony Punchers
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:18 am »

One of my soldiers, Kozbuk Lazdumat, started to beat the crap out of one of my horses with an iron war hammer, does anyone know why? I didn't notice it happened until the rotting corpse was stankin up the place with miasma. I believe this has happened before, a nasty incident with a battle ax wielding mad man and a pig, is there any way to stop it?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Pony Punchers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »

Animals who are forced int ao small space, like if their pasture is too overcrowded or if a dwarf comes into close proximity to them and they ca'n't move out of the way, will sometimes lash out.

Dwarves who get attacked will feel vengeful and often, based on their personalities, retaliate.

So to avoid it, or at least mitigate the chances, make sure the animals have plenty of space.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:40:32 pm by EBannion »
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 05:04:05 pm »

check your dwarves to see if they hate the animal they attacked, im just wondering if that could be a cause
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:03:14 pm »

Animals who are forced int ao small space, like if their pasture is too overcrowded or if a dwarf comes into close proximity to them and they ca'n't move out of the way, will sometimes lash out.

I dont think that's it, on both battle logs it said the hammer dwarf struck first

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »

His name wasn't Han McSolo, was it?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:46 am »

I don't suppose it was a tantrum? (since you do get notified about those)  Sometimes that puts a dwarf in "looking for something to punch" mode, and they don't seem too picky about targets - animals, citizens, whoever.  Since you mention miasma, it might still be an "unhappy enough to lash out" even if it isn't a full-on tantrum.

So far my punchers haven't killed their targets for me - bruised them up a bit sometimes, at worst. But when the puncher chooses a legendary swordsdwarf as a target ... well, that ends the punching spree rather permanently.  But if the puncher had been military themselves, like yours ... that'd be painful.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:19:36 pm »

It's not the beard on the outside that counts. It's the beard on the inside.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »

And then there's always Mongo.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:58:51 pm »

People who don't punch their ponies make me sick.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:29 pm »

Does drunkenness trigger that sort of thing in the current DF?  I haven't yet had a chance to play with taverns so I'm not sure, but seems like an unlikely, if possible source of unprovoked pony punching.  Maybe the game doesn't check if fights should start with only sapient things.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:06:15 pm »

It's not the beard on the outside that counts. It's the beard on the inside.

First thing I thought of when I read the title.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)