Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the "stone-in-the-door" problem and a few othe  (Read 559 times)

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
the "stone-in-the-door" problem and a few othe
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

Ok... so i want to build a set of doors in a 2 row corridor, and i have a piece of stone ore, etc obstructing one square.

#######
...*...
#######

One dwarf comes with a door, starts building it , moves the ore below and finishes the door.

#######
...X...
...*...
#######

then, the second door is hauled, assembled below the first one, and the dwarf moves the stone back in the upper squareso he can finish the second door, and thus leaving the first door open all the time, and that's how i get floods most of the time.

Now, perhaps there is need for a tiny bit of code to say "do not move drop objects inside a door square" ?

ok, i agree i could prevent this by locking the first door, but that means obstructing traffic for a long time, not to mention is kind of hard supervising the placement of every door in the fortress, especially later on.
I mean, he could move the stone to any other stupid empty square around him, but NO! 90% of the time he simply moves it back where it came from.

And as far as i can tell, there is no way of marking a specific singular stone for moving. (am i right?)

Usually i try to solve this by identifying the stone type and setting someone to build something near out of that stone type... but it's hard, as he usually goes to pick up some other identical stone, as there are about a hundred others lying around.

oh yeah, and farm plots. they clean the space designated for farming, moving the offending objects into nearby tiles, usually into nearby doors (argh!) which makes me designate one huge area for stone stockpiling, and set every dwarf to moving stones (which is stupid, and that is an understatement).

I would love to be able to move certain stones, from certain places to stockpile (to clean important rooms) but not every stone in the game... As in "designating" them, the same way as i designate trees.

[ March 17, 2007: Message edited by: Nospherat ]

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: the "stone-in-the-door" problem and a few othe
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

A way to prevent this happening with doors is to lock the first door after it is built. Then they can't walk on it and drop the stone, so they have to drop it elsewhere.

You could also build a mason's workshop beside the area and make blocks, or a craftdwarfs shop and make crafts, to get rid of all the stone.

When I'm trying to clear a big area I usually make a craftsdwarves shop and put a pile beside it for the finished stone goods, then he eats up all the stone in the room and packs it into one or two little bins that are easily moved to the trade depot to be traded away. This doesn't work with blocks, since they are very heavy - it will take a year and several different dwarves to finally haul a bin of blocks somewhere  :)

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

It does use up a bit of space, but one thing I do for farm plots to avoid stone going in the door is leaving a 1 tile strip above and below the plot empty, at least until the stone is moved to a pile or shop later on.

code:

########
#......#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#......#
##+#####
##.#####

# wall
= plot
. empty floor
+ door

This work well for me.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

"And as far as i can tell, there is no way of marking a specific singular stone for moving. (am i right?)"

Isn't is possible to designate it as a stockpile, and then give the order to send to an other stock pile ?

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Daeloth:
<STRONG>It does use up a bit of space...</STRONG>

If you'll allow me to steal some of your "code" :P

This will work just as well, and save some space:

code:

########
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#......#
##+#####
##.#####

# wall
= plot
. empty floor
+ door

As would this:

code:

########
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
##_#####
##+#####

_ channel
# wall
= plot
. empty floor
+ door

or this:

code:

########
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
#======#
##.#####
##+#####

# wall
= plot
. empty floor
+ door

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"