Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Values?  (Read 681 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Dwarven Values?
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

Dwarves have a funky way of valueing things. They go berserk if a single "masterpiece" bolt (of which they made hundreds) happens to fall into the chasm with an enemy, and yet they are still "estatic" after losing 6 children.

My metalsmith arrived with a husband, and over the years they have had 9 children, and recently a fire man popped up when the metalsmith happened to be working at the magma forge and most of her children had come to visit her. 6 children died very quickly (they were all clustered around the forge with the mother, which is exactly where the fire man appeared). She is still estatic, the father is still estatic. In the thoughts it mentions losing a child recently, but still estatic. Then a bit later some ratmen attacked, and my elite crossbowman pumped them full of masterwork iron bolts. One bolt stuck to a ratman, and the force of it knocked the ratman into the chasm. The lost bolt triggered the metalsmith to become miserable, and then tantrum and destroy the forge she was working in (incidentally, killing another child who happened to be visiting and fell in the lava).

So dwarves care for a SINGLE masterwork bolt out of hundreds far more than they care for 6 out of their 9 children? Talk about bad parents. The only children of theirs left is the baby she is carrying around and the one that is in his bed recovering from a yellow head wound due to the fire man, yet the father is still estatic - the only reason the mother is angry is she lost one of her bolts.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Re: Dwarven Values?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:15:00 am »

They can always make more children, but one masterpiece bolt is expensive.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

Yeah, I gotta stop forgetting to turn my cook off myself when my food stockpile fills up.  He'll just sit there making masterpiece meals like you wouldn't believe but noone eats/stores them and they all rot.  Suddenly he wants to start fights and finds himself behind bars for a season or 2 to calm down.

I feel you on the masterpiece issue, I think the reaction is a little too extreme.  No matter how many happy thoughts they have, one disgraceful waste and they're as pissed as they get.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

Ah, the splendor of Dwarf Fortress =)
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.