Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "I need help with ___" thread  (Read 1751 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
The "I need help with ___" thread
« on: June 01, 2016, 02:24:47 pm »

Hey! The idea is to ask about something you would like some help with, but don't really want to post in one of the other threads. You can also help people, but why would anyone do that?

My thing that I need help with is earning money on the Internet. Mainly because I live in the middle of nowhere and can't get a job.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: The "I need help with ___" thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »

A friend of mine does playtesting for an MMO. Otherwise, I think they also do moderating. You just gotta look around, a lot, and very deeply.

Also, I think this is a pretty good idea for a thread. If there was something I need help with, it's with getting close to my crush, who is currently experiencing a lot of sadness, like I was, and he doesn't want to be happy, yet I'm still determined to make him happy.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

Skies: Have a look through this thread.

DD: At the risk of sounding unhelpful, maybe the best thing is to let him be sad for a while. Every now and then I know I get into a blue funk that I don't particularly want help with, that I deal with best myself. Consider if it might be that kind of thing?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »

Well, he said that he's been like this for a few years now, and I fear that he doesn't even care about getting any better. I care about him, and I just want him to be happy. But yeah, I dunno.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:29:42 pm »

Do you think anyone would want a game playtested on a cheap-o laptop? Because that's the only computer I have access to that is consistent. Otherwise I'd have to wait until I earn the money to build my PC, and that's why I want to earn money in the first place.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »

Do y'all know of a half-decent image uploading website that still works with B12, avatars-wise? Apparently Imgur now charges for the usage of their API (which may or may not be related to that), and up until now it was my go-to for image uploads for avatars here.
Not sure if I should use Dropbox or Google Drive but historically they didn't seem like the greatest for this sort of thing, and ipfs.pics doesn't seem to work either. >.>'

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »

Gravatar is specificially for avatars. Doesn't work on animated gifs, however, and the forums don't have automatic support for it. Dropbox is easiest, but I haven't used it for avatars.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »

Ah, there we go. Must have been an issue with me putting in an HTTPS link as opposed to an HTTP one (I have the HTTPS Everywhere extension installed which is what was causing issues probably.)

Now I can show off my $20 commission. Yay.
the scaled down backgroundless version thereof, anyway
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:38:13 pm by Maks »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:45:42 am »

Skies: Remember, your value to a prospective employer is directly related to your ability to produce something profitable with the work you perform and the rarity of the skill you possess. As a good example, look at Toady. His average income from work at home on Dwarf Fortress is $6K per month after working at this job full time for ten years. Consider the skills you have and the ability you possess to turn those into a profit. It's likely better to invent your own business model rather than attempt to find someone willing to pay you a wage, especially if this is a casual side hobby rather than your full time activity.

Question: How should I deal with a staff member that I inherited that has chronic health problems? She was here when I took over management and has inoperable brain cancer as well as recently diagnosed possible bone cancer. Medically unable to do any jobs that require lifting, too old to perform computer work, unable to drive long distance. Should I simply delegate them some busy-work and just wait for them to retire, or invest time and money to retrain them?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:19:34 am »

Well, perhaps you should ask them if they have any suggestions. People appreciate being asked, and she'll likely have some idea of what she can (or can't) do.

Also if you're sympathetic, and ask how she's doing, ask how her family is dealing with it, etc, before asking her what she thinks she could do, she may be more likely to respond positively rather than negatively.

P.S. It may be illegal to fire her, depending on where you are - discrimination against disabled people or something.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive