Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Quality on any objects?  (Read 614 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
No Quality on any objects?
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:15 pm »

I'm attempting to test a cause of FPS death - specifically the presence of item quality modifiers.  What do I add to the RAWs to make it so dwarves no longer make anything higher than standard quality? 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: No Quality on any objects?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:49 pm »

Prevent dwarves and other races from being able to learn anything. If all skills are stuck at zero, they will be incredibly unlikely to make items with quality modifiers. It can still happen if the individual has very high attributes used for their specific craft, but will be much less frequent.

You can also remove the skill token from each reaction in the raws, but that won't affect hard-coded reactions.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »

Ah yes!  Skill tokens!  I knew there was a way, but couldn't remember.  Thanks!

It won't affect the hard-coded reactions, but they can be coded around by making other reactions that do the same without using a skill.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »

This script changes quality of all created items on the map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Put script into hack/scripts/qualityitems.lua
Run command in the dfhack console:
qualityitems -q 0    - to make all items ordinary
qualityitems -q 1    - for well crafted, etc
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:56:46 pm by sv-esk »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:34:10 pm »

although I'm not sure that simply having everything with same/lowest quality modifer would really help FPS, since all of the items would still have and track quality modifiers, even if they're all set the same.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 05:59:07 pm »

I had the same thought.  I've tested and confirmed that setting them all to have the same quality does not help - which means, of course, that removing the ability of dwarves to make higher quality items wouldn't help either.

Tests using createitem imply that there's no significant difference between blocks, tables, and helms with regard to FPS death.  So, no luck there; my entire theory is wrong.