Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wargaming & Miniatures  (Read 759 times)

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wargaming & Miniatures
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:16:43 am »

RULE ZERO
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
RULE ONE
NO GAMES WORKSHOP LORE OR RULESETS, THEY HAVE THEIR OWN THREAD

Just figured it was distinct enough from the other threads.

What you painting? What you building? What you playing?

I'm putting together some 15mm scifi for Gruntz and looking to buy maybe another force to show off the ruleset. Might buy some 15mm fantasy or historical for Hordes of the Things, too.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Wargaming & Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »

I'm still really missing De Bellis Multitudinis and Field of Glory, the two ancient to medieval rulesets I used to wargame on. I actually have a bronze medal for DBM from a national tournament hanging somewhere, but it's not played much hereabouts. And to make it sound awesomer than it probably is, I was taught by the 2014 world champion for DBM. :P

I've never lashed out the money for a full army of my own, but I sometimes get extremely tempted.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »

I'm still really missing De Bellis Multitudinis and Field of Glory, the two ancient to medieval rulesets I used to wargame on. I actually have a bronze medal for DBM from a national tournament hanging somewhere, but it's not played much hereabouts. And to make it sound awesomer than it probably is, I was taught by the 2014 world champion for DBM. :P

I've never lashed out the money for a full army of my own, but I sometimes get extremely tempted.

Depending on scale, historical armies are generally pretty cheap. You definitely should.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »

ptw, I promise not to geedubya the everything

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

The other day I was introduced to the Beyond The Gates Of Anteres gaming set.

It's not actually GW, and plays differently in a different1 setting but it has an obvious GW heritage (and a creator previously of GW), so it may be a bit close to breaking Rule One to talk about it...

Still, putting it out there as a bit of meat, rather than just serving a more measly portion of PTW for your dinner...

1 As different as you can get in a typical "space races face-to-face" combat game.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:48:56 pm »

Okay, so
I don't do the wargaming and miniatures, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on 3D-printing figures for this purpose?
I understand it's an expensive hobby, but I have almost unlimited access to a Makerbot 5th gen which could theoretically shave a lot off the price of entry if I could spend enough time on it.

Anyone have any opinions or experience on the matter?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:53 pm »

Anyone have any opinions or experience on the matter?
My opinion, FWIW, is that you could just as easily write something like "Berserker robot" on a small square of paper and move that across the board(/table/floor), according to some agreed rules, as necessarily buy/build a small plastic/lead model and probably also have to paint it.  As long as everyone playing agrees that you're entitled to use such a berserker robot (fits the game, and keeps you within your army-points quota/whatever).  Just like you can play draughts(/checkers) or even chess using just coins on a grid quickly scribbled onto a piece of paper or card...

The models are good for the visuals.  Official models are good for rewarding the manufacturer/license-holder.  If you can 3D-print a decent figure (and, looking at current 3D-printer outputs, you probably can... possibly even without the need to retouch with paint if you can feed multiple colours of stock) then you're better for the first than the piece-of-paper method, and then you only have to worry about 'stealing' from the official manufacturer.  Which, if you scratch-build anything (scenery, vehicles, even figures in the style of the official figures, but using just spare bits, modelling clay and 'scrap'), you're already doing anyway.

I say do it, so long as you support the producers (to a degree that is inverse to the dominance of the market they already have, perhaps... i.e. give more support the little guys than the established behemoths) by buying the official manuals rather than using pirated versions of those too, why not try out a bit of 3D-printing?  For personal use, certainly, even if it wouldn't be allowed in public tournaments and you'd need to re-equip yourself with official models once you decided you liked the game enough to try something so 'serious'.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:22:55 am »

At least some rulesets don't really care about your minis as long as they're there, the right scale, and set up according to any rules there might be. DBM and FoG armies, for instance, are often built by shopping around for the best prices and poses. You could 3D print no problem.

Ed: typo.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:47:33 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:32:22 am »

I'm currently painting a bunch of Hero Forge custom 3D-printed minis for use in...whatever. I'm not quite going the whole nine yards, but the minis get primed, basecoated, and washed with a little extra on top for things like eyes and touch-ups.

So far I think they look pretty good! I'm no pro, of course.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread