Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridges and channels  (Read 974 times)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridges and channels
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

I have a question. If you build a channel, and then build a bridge over it, will water still flow through the channel or will it stop at the bridge, or perhaps flood OVER the bridge? Or will it flow under the bridge perfectly?
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridges and channels
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

It will flow perfectly under it.
[DEMONLORD]

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

Note, however, that in order to be able to build a bridge over a channel, that channel needs to have held water at some time in the past (or be holding water right now).  A channel that's never become muddy won't be bridgeable.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

If you build a bridge over a dry channel or muddy *cavern floor*, water will flood over/through the bridge as if it's at ground level.
If you build a bridge over a wet channel or a muddy channel, water will flow under the bridge -- and dwarves can stand on the bridge and not drown.

(I learned this lesson by building a mess-load of safety bridges in my floodable farm area, then drowned several farmers because I didn't build said bridges over muddy channel, just muddy ground.)

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »

I don't think you can build a bridge over a dry (never held water) channel.  Pretty sure you get red X's if you try.  It's got to be either full of water or muddy.

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

If the water is only going to be flowing through the channel then yes the bridge will allow it to pass underneath if the water is not a contained flood then it will swamp everything.

My current underground forest has a dry path down the middle with channels either side to keep the water at bay.

It's arranged thus:
..._  ++ _...
..._  ++ _...
...## BB _...
...x__BB__...
...## BB _...
..._  ++ _...
..._  ++ _...

The floodwater is released into the forest are rom the right flows across the screen till it hits the channel to the right of my path it then floods the channel which passes under the bridge to the floodgate which floods everything west of the path.
If there were a break in the channel holding back the flood the floodwater would engulf the bridge/path/rest of the fort.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rollio:
code:
..._  ++ _...
..._  ++ _...
...## BB _...