Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have created a Dwarf Fortress message board  (Read 1135 times)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have created a Dwarf Fortress message board
« on: March 04, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

Okay everyone, I have created a dedicated message board to Dwarf Fortress, and I encourage you all to come join up and talk about Dwarf Fortress! http://dwarffortress.proboards84.com/index.cgi
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have created a Dwarf Fortress message board
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

I'm the second member  :)
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

isn't that what THIS board is for?

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:33:00 am »

Good point. But some people like to have many places to hang out in to discuss things. This is just another example.
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

I don't mean to be mean here BoltsFog, but I sincerely doubt that forum is going anywhere. You've made just about every mistake that it's possible to make with a forum, I'm sad to say.

Firstly, you're advertising this forum, on a forum that currently does the same thing, only much better. There's very little incentive for people to cross over and start using yours. Having "many places to hang out and discuss things" probably isn't going to be a draw for most people, your forum has no content, and no community, while all the other Dwarf Fortress discussion places do.

Next: the structure of your forum.
1. It's on a free-host. That'll dissuade a lot of people. Proboards is not a great message board system, and while the one used here isn't exactly great either (¬_¬), it'll be a turn-off for a lot of people.
2. It has ads. People hate ads.
3. There are too many subforums. If you look at the way succesful forums do it, the organisation of the place is usually spurred on by community demand, creating new areas to talk about something that has proved and extremely popular and distinct subject in another subforum. Your forum is divided up into too many little bits, each one of them will be very low content, and it'll make the forum look even less active than it is.

A lot of people think it would be cool to run a forum, but unfortunately in most cases, it just ain't gonna' happen. This is one of those cases.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DR:
<STRONG>I don't mean to be mean here BoltsFog, but I sincerely doubt that forum is going anywhere. You've made just about every mistake that it's possible to make with a forum, I'm sad to say.

Firstly, you're advertising this forum, on a forum that currently does the same thing, only much better. There's very little incentive for people to cross over and start using yours. Having "many places to hang out and discuss things" probably isn't going to be a draw for most people, your forum has no content, and no community, while all the other Dwarf Fortress discussion places do.

1. It's on a free-host. That'll dissuade a lot of people. Proboards is not a great message board system, and while the one used here isn't exactly great either (¬_¬), it'll be a turn-off for a lot of people.
3. There are too many subforums. If you look at the way succesful forums do it, the organisation of the place is usually spurred on by community demand, creating new areas to talk about something that has proved and extremely popular and distinct subject in another subforum. Your forum is divided up into too many little bits, each one of them will be very low content, and it'll make the forum look even less active than it is.

A lot of people think it would be cool to run a forum, but unfortunately in most cases, it just ain't gonna' happen. This is one of those cases.</STRONG>

Sadly, I agree  :(
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

quote:
I don't mean to be mean here BoltsFog, but I sincerely doubt that forum is going anywhere. You've made just about every mistake that it's possible to make with a forum, I'm sad to say.

A lot of people think it would be cool to run a forum, but unfortunately in most cases, it just ain't gonna' happen. This is one of those cases.

Oddly enough, this post just makes me want to go join his too...