Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a creature capable of regenerating any wounds  (Read 1599 times)

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Making a creature capable of regenerating any wounds
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:16:03 am »

Is this possible? Ive tried to add

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL]
 [TL_HEALING_RATE:1]

and

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:RECUPERATION:5000:5000:5000:5000:5000:5000:5000]

to the creature but despite that the creature still seems to not be able to fully regenerate from wounds. what do i need to add?
Also is it possible for a creature to regenerate lost limbs?
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Making a creature capable of regenerating any wounds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:50:35 am »

That should let them regenerate most wounds, but some tissues (bones and shells) require setting and splinting to heal at all.  You can replace their bones with a new healing bone tissue that doesn't need setting.

Regenerating lost limbs is only possible if you give them a transformation ability, which heals them completely.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:13:45 am »

That should let them regenerate most wounds, but some tissues (bones and shells) require setting and splinting to heal at all.  You can replace their bones with a new healing bone tissue that doesn't need setting.

Thats not the only thing that refuses to heal though, nervous tissue and cartilage seem to also refuse to heal at all (or maybe im just impatient and didnt wait enough in arena mode)

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »

I made a creature that does what you're looking to do. Feel free to copy or change whatever you want from it to fit your needs.

The basic concept is that it transforms into a copy of itself using a reaction before changing back to the 'original' version of itself. This is the best way I'm aware of to achieve regeneration on the level of healing lost limbs and such.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uv6lbl1oucjq1h/Regenerator.0.42.zip?dl=0

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:01:49 pm »

I made a creature that does what you're looking to do. Feel free to copy or change whatever you want from it to fit your needs.

The basic concept is that it transforms into a copy of itself using a reaction before changing back to the 'original' version of itself. This is the best way I'm aware of to achieve regeneration on the level of healing lost limbs and such.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uv6lbl1oucjq1h/Regenerator.0.42.zip?dl=0
This worked perfectly, thanks!
Althought there is a problem you might want to fix, the skill cooldown gets reset as the creature transforms so the regenator is basically immune to all damage that does not kill it in a single hit. whether you want this or not i dont know though.

Edit: Although this works, it also spams up the notifications box and somehow the first time i tested this out the creature ''died from colliding with an obstacle'' right after transformation.
Edit2:when i spawn multiple creatures with the transformation ability to fight eachother !!MAGMA!! seems to appear out of nowhere. did i do something wrong?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:08:51 pm by Cheesoburgor »

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »

I didn't want the cooldown to be reset on transforming. This didn't happen in the prior versions of the game. I just started to update this to work with the newest version so I suppose I have to figure that out now too. I did want the creature to be immortal so I suppose it's working, just not as elegantly as I wanted.

If they collide with an obstacle they probably don't have enough mass in the transformation state. Someone who knows more than me would need to chime in about this and the magma though.Posting your raws would make it easier to see what's going on though.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 09:03:26 am »

Creatures
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interaction

Feel free to point out any weirdness in the creature raws if you happen to find anything.

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:50:05 pm »

Creatures

Interaction

Feel free to point out any weirdness in the creature raws if you happen to find anything.

[LIKES_FIGHTING] is deprecated. I think that's now handled by personality. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#LIKES_FIGHTING
[BONECARN] implies [CARNIVORE]. Not sure how those work with [NO_EAT] though. I think that makes it less likely they will survive worldgen. At least in previous versions.
If I had to nitpick I'd just say to try and organize the different tags for your own reference.

I was just thinking that unless you set its body in a particular way it will likely die from decapitation or severing the lower body from the upper body. Check my body_regenerator.txt file to see how to avoid this.

That's all I can really tell from a glance. I was never especially good at reading raws. It's easiest to tell what's wrong if it gives you anything in the error log.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:52:42 pm by lanp »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:56 pm »

I was just thinking that unless you set its body in a particular way it will likely die from decapitation or severing the lower body from the upper body. Check my body_regenerator.txt file to see how to avoid this.

That's all I can really tell from a glance. I was never especially good at reading raws. It's easiest to tell what's wrong if it gives you anything in the error log.

Like fighting has been removed as a tag.
To avoid decapitation you can add NOTHOUGHT or move the brain.
Severing the lower body can be blocked by just not haveing a LOWERBODY flagged part.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:13 am »

To avoid decapitation you can add NOTHOUGHT or move the brain.

That does not actually work as the creature will die instantly once all its bodyparts with [HEAD] get cut off no matter what tags it has.

Severing the lower body can be blocked by just not haveing a LOWERBODY flagged part.

Does that mean a creature that gets cut in half will still continue to live if the part that used to have LOWERBODY gets severed off?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »

Assuming they don't bleed to death/nothing important was on there/whatever cut their lower half off doesn't cut something more important off immediately afterwards, yes. I think you'd have to make a new body definition for it, though, including for all the organs that are supposed to go on the lower body, since they find the lowerbody by its TYPE, which is the flag you're removing to prevent losing it form being instantly fatal.

Not sure if they could wear pants, then. Pants try to be worn on the LOWERBODY type. If you remove the flag, no pants. If you move the flag up to the upper body, old man pants up to their nipples.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.