Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Itemcorpse and river questions  (Read 1178 times)

mhv3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Itemcorpse and river questions
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

A couple of questions.  I have having things washed away in the river floods so I (over the course of years) built bridges over every inside river square. (actually I left two 1x1 squares for sand collection.)  I haven't seen any river creatures since.  Did I just cut off my supply of silk?  

So my first question is are river creatures suppressed by bridges?

Second to get around it I was going to make domesticated silk worms.   (this time I was going to change cats into them) Would adding [WEBBER] to the creature template make them make webs, or is it hard coded to just the spiders?

I thought I might use itemcorpse to get around it
it seemed like I needed one of these lines, but I couldn't get either to work.  Do I need a matgloss or am I trying to do something that doesn't work yet?
[ITEMCORPSE:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:NO_MATGLOSS]
[ITEMCORPSE:SILK:NO_SUBTYPE:CLOTH:NO_MATGLOSS]

Thanks

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Itemcorpse and river questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

To answer your webber question yes that makes anything web. Check out new pet for you topic.

mhv3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I did discover that I had the itemcorpse right but if the creature is butchered it seems to bypass it.

I put my kitties in the drowning room and the left behind toad silk.

[ITEMCORPSE:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:SPIDER_CAVE]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

I seem to recall Toady mentioning that the subtype isn't even checked yet -- it's just a fluke if it happens to generate the same subtype as the one you specify.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

Don't change cats into worms; make a new creature by copy and pasting the bit about cats and editing a copy.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mhv3:
<STRONG>A couple of questions.  I have having things washed away in the river floods so I (over the course of years) built bridges over every inside river square. (actually I left two 1x1 squares for sand collection.)  I haven't seen any river creatures since.  Did I just cut off my supply of silk?  </STRONG>

I've bridged up good portion of a couple cave rivers myself.  In my experience, when you build a lot of bridges, you actually get more webs because the spiders don't have to travel as far to "dry land" to make a web.  Then again, I always had visible unbridged river far up and downstream of the single river crossing.