Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Magma Crab Turret Design  (Read 6479 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Crab Turret Design
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »

Does line of sight with a dwarf do anything? They shoot magma, right? So that should mean they aggro and move to attack the dwarves (or whatever bait you use), right? *Cage trap in hallway preventing them from doing much damage*

My idea would be an open patio on the magma sea, with bait creatures on it; and a one-wide channel through which the crabs must path to approach the targets.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Crab Turret Design
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 02:49:33 am »

Does line of sight with a dwarf do anything? They shoot magma, right? So that should mean they aggro and move to attack the dwarves (or whatever bait you use), right? *Cage trap in hallway preventing them from doing much damage*

My idea would be an open patio on the magma sea, with bait creatures on it; and a one-wide channel through which the crabs must path to approach the targets.

They are not very aggressive and I don't think they actively seek out targets to attack, so I don't know if bait would do a lot of them.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of animals seem to move in a big counter-clockwise circle around the map. I haven't done any real science on it, but I've notice a lot of them do it including at least some magma crabs. Placing a hallway along such a route, or connecting major sections of the magma sea might improve the odds of catching them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]