Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about a couple of oddities.  (Read 857 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about a couple of oddities.
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:53:07 pm »

1. I've dug a trade entrance tunnel under a couple of trees. When I harvested almonds from the almond one almonds and leaves appeared in the tunnel straight beneath the trunk, suggesting a breach. The other tree is an apricot one, and in the tunnel I've got both leaves from the tree and a couple of apricot tree saplings, despite the area being described as dark and subterranean. Do still standing trees permit passage to tunnels beneath them?

2. I dug down to the SMR away from the magma sea (at least one tile or original rock all around), and intended to use the build wall/floor on SMR and remove the construction to get soil trick in the hope of getting sand. However, the building job was cancelled due to an inaccessible site, and looking at it it's slowly filling up with magma. This is actually the second fortress I've had that happen in, and the first time I thought it was caused by a magma pool, but the site was not beneath the pool. The current fortress also has a pool (or possibly two), but again, not above my dig site. Is it known what causes this strange magma materialization?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about a couple of oddities.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »

#1 trees destroy the floor beneath them and if you dig under it there isnt any roof but the tree, it prevents items and creatures from passing but it wont stop the leaves and fruit from going through

#2 magma materialization is an intended mechanic with SMR
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »

#2: The answer is a bit on the brief side. I've only encountered this twice, despite digging dry staircases to the SMR and performing SMR soil conversion quite a few times, so it can't be something that happens every time. What are the conditions under which the SMR "bleeds"?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:25 pm »

should be that whenever theres an open block connected to SMR either up down left right or +1 z level, if you only have stairs exposed to it then im not sure
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »

#2: In order to get clay/sand yo need to do that on Magma Flow and not SMR.
See Wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Semi-molten_rock

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 04:36:24 pm »

@Astrid: If you channel down into the SMR from above you get a magma flow covering it (with an unusable ramp below), and that's the flow I'm trying to target. The bleeding magma blocks my effort, though.

@steel jackal: I first dug u/d stairs down until the digging was aborted by the SMR, and then I dug one tile straight north from the bottom of the stair followed by a channel down into the SMR north of that. Given that I was able to dig the two northward tiles and order the building of a wall without getting a !!Miner!! indicates it's the channeling that somehow triggers it (possibly through the generation of a magma flow on top of the dented SMR tile), not the SMR exposure from the stair.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »

Magma pools cause magma to "refill" (appear) anywhere in their embark tile... dig down to SMR further away from the pool(s) or fight your way through the magma using a steady water drip.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:07:49 am »

Thanks Loci!

That matches a suspicion I had that pools were somehow responsible. The embark tile range is quirky, but makes some kind of sense. That can be really dangerous when mining blue stuff if you're not prepared for it, though (actually, it's probably dangerous even if you're prepared).