Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with electronic wallet providers/services?  (Read 817 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TLDR:

I want to have a purely electronic wallet without linking to a bank account. Can anyone recommend services/providers/methods that will allow me to do that?

Thanks.

Long version:

So a back in 2014 I tried dabbled with various "make money online" services, and I have available funds in a couple different accounts hosted by various unrelated providers. At the time I concluded there wasn't enough money to be made to make it worthwhile, and didn't do anything with those funds. Recently, however, I've been considering the novelty of using a phone-based electronic wallet. Apparently all sorts of stores in my area accept these sorts of payments, and I just never realized it until recently.

So, I'd like to consolidate these funds into an electronic wallet, and go buy a sandwich at subway or something with my phone. That seems like an interesting, novel thing to do.

Here is the problem:

Each of the various provider seem to be very picky about the manner in which they're willing to release funds. For example, one is only willing to transfer to Amazon-owned accounts like Amazon payments or an Amazon gift card. But Amazon Payments seems to want my to verify my account by giving them permission to withdraw funds from my bank account linking my amazon account directly to a live bank account.

Ha! No, I'm not doing that.

The other two are willing to transfer to paypal, but paypal verification apparently requires giving paypal permission to clean out my bank account and put funds on hold for up to six months for no reason other than because they felt like it "linking" with my bank account. Again, I'm not doing that.

So if I have to walk away from these various accounts to keep my real life money safe, I'm ok with that. But at this point, I'd like to do this because again, it seems like an interesting thing to do. Have money that exists in an electronic account that I can keep completely separate from my actual real life money and use it for "internet things."

There are a bunch of services that claim to offer this, but having gone through a couple now, they all seem to want permission to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission or approval, put it on hold, and require me to accept their arbitration process for what to do with the money they took from my account without my permission, a process with some people are reporting takes up to six months during which I won't be allowed to access my funds entirely safe and benign "account linking."

And I'm not wiling to do that.

Anyone have experience with electronic wallets that can be used purely without linking to a bank account?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any experience with electronic wallet providers/services?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »

Not unless you count Steam's, which is only good for buying things on Steam.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any experience with electronic wallet providers/services?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:27:33 pm »

Get another bank account to attach to these services that you don't care about? They aren't hard to get.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.