Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling Routes with Roller/Door switching  (Read 1747 times)

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling Routes with Roller/Door switching
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:36:28 am »

So I'm working on a minecart system where I have shared track for multiple routes. The idea is: minecarts that need to get onto a shared track must wait behind a door for the shared track to become available, and then the door should open and the cart be pushed through with rollers. (Roller/door switch is according to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Minecart#Switching)

My question is... how can I set up the hauling routes properly? The two ideas I've come up with are:

- Put a hauling stop with <Push immediately always> at the roller, so that dwarves don't pick up the minecart and bring it back to the source while it's waiting for the door to open. The problem here is... if the dwarf doesn't get around to pushing the minecart before the door opens, then the hauling route thinks it's still at at this intermediary stop and will result in the cart getting moved backwards at some later point

- Or, no intermediary hauling stop? The problem here is, if the cart waits for the door for too long, some dwarf is gonna come around and move the cart back. Annoying.

Any way around this?

Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling Routes with Roller/Door switching
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:39 am »

I'd block dwarven access to your intermediate roller by having the tracks blocked by doors on entry and exit, and those doors are opened by mine cart triggered pressure plates. This has the additional advantage that it eliminates, or at least greatly diminishes, the amount of road kill generated.

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling Routes with Roller/Door switching
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:28 am »

I'd block dwarven access to your intermediate roller by having the tracks blocked by doors on entry and exit, and those doors are opened by mine cart triggered pressure plates. This has the additional advantage that it eliminates, or at least greatly diminishes, the amount of road kill generated.

Ah, that's a good idea. I came up with an interim solution of having my hauling routes be a single stop, which works like a charm, but doesn't mean I can send goods both ways. I may or may not need more than this: carts full of blocks zoom to their routed destination and back, ready for reloading. I'll post a detailed description of my routing system soon for those curious.