Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What allows moods again?  (Read 1004 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
What allows moods again?
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

Probably been asked before, but this is the first time I've seen something like it.

Just now I had a newly arrived Fish Dissector taken by a strange mood.  No skills or enabled labors but fish dissecting, hadn't even been in the fort long enough to get social skills.  He ended his immigrant arrival cycle, ran off to do some hauling, then grabs some stones and a lobster shell and now he's a legendary stonecrafter.

Apparently having some amount of experience in a mood-capable skill isn't necessary after all.  Heck of a way to introduce himself to the regulars though.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What allows moods again?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

You will start getting strange moods after you have at least 20 dwarves, assuming you haven't turned off artifacts in the init file.

Dwarves with at least one "moodable" skill claim a workshop related to the one they have the most experience in and gain extra experience in the same skill (if their moods are fey or secretive.)

Dwarves with no moodable skills at all will claim craftsdwarf's workshops and make stone, wood, or bone items, becoming legendary stonecarvers, woodcarvers, or bonecarvers if their moods are fey or secretive.

In long-running fortresses, you will end up with MANY stonecarvers, woodcarvers, and bonecarvers, unless you aggressively train all your peasants, cooks, fisherdwarves, and rangers to at least dabbling in armorsmithing or masonry or whatever you want legendaries in.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

That is what i mostly do, namely give all imigrants wich have usefull skills (but not imidiatly necessary) simple hauling jobs and give all peasents jobs wich would become important in the future. Or ofcourse just kill them all off, you really don't need more then one crafter.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Brent Not Broken:
<STRONG>You will start getting strange moods after you have at least 20 dwarves, assuming you haven't turned off artifacts in the init file.

Dwarves with at least one "moodable" skill claim a workshop related to the one they have the most experience in and gain extra experience in the same skill (if their moods are fey or secretive.) </STRONG>

Knew that much, yeah.

quote:
Originally posted by Brent Not Broken:
<STRONG>
Dwarves with no moodable skills at all will claim craftsdwarf's workshops and make stone, wood, or bone items, becoming legendary stonecarvers, woodcarvers, or bonecarvers if their moods are fey or secretive.

In long-running fortresses, you will end up with MANY stonecarvers, woodcarvers, and bonecarvers, unless you aggressively train all your peasants, cooks, fisherdwarves, and rangers to at least dabbling in armorsmithing or masonry or whatever you want legendaries in.</STRONG>

Did not know that.  This fort will be spitting out masterpeice crafts before long then.

Just to make sure, possesions are no different from other moods except they don't give skills right?  Because this did happen to me once with a plain peasant, but I just assumed possesions didn't need a relevant skill in the first place.

The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>Just to make sure, possesions are no different from other moods except they don't give skills right?  Because this did happen to me once with a plain peasant, but I just assumed possesions didn't need a relevant skill in the first place.</STRONG>
Possessions are identical to fey/secretive moods, except that completing them gives the affected dwarf nothing (except control of its life back, I guess?) and the text you get in the message log and when you [q] over the claimed workshop is different.

I do not think there is any way to predict or affect whether a given dwarf will get a fey, secretive, or possessed mood. As far as I know, the only degree of control you have over mood type is how happy or unhappy you keep your dwarves, to make them more or less likely to get fell or macabre moods. I've not tested this, because all my miserable dwarves have happened to go insane and die before being struck by a mood. Pity.

As for dwarves with no moodable skills, they seem to have the same odds of getting fey/secretive/possessed moods as anybody else. They just always end up using crafting skills, no matter which of those moods they end up with.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 05:00:00 am »

Sorry to bump my own thread, but as a newb, I feel the need to express my love for DF's ability to write its own narration, and inspiration seized me.

"Hail Lord of these great halls, and thank you for the honor of allowing-"

"Yes, hail and all that.  What be your trade lad?"

"Have you any fish in need of dissection?"

"Bloody useless!  Well, I've got an eel what needs squeezing, but it's the halls for you.  Grab those boulders out the path and throw them to the pits."

"With pleasure, new Lord.  -HURK-  It... will... be... ...!  I MUST CRAFT!"

"Ere what?  Oi!  I told you to dump that stone!"

Days pass...

"Behold, new fellows, my awesome skill, and feast your eyes upon Worrieddipped the Mortifaction of Adventure, the greatest mug ye shall ever see!"

"Tis a fine cup lad, but the greatest mug I'll ever see is in me mirror.  Now get yer beard back in that workshop.  You'll rid us of stone one way or another."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

Also note that there's a special counter which spawns a mood when it reaches certain amount.
It levels with each deed (like marriage or masterpiece or stone revealed... whatever).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

As an aside, I've started quite a few fortresses now, usually in serene/joyous type biomes.

I recently decided to try a triple biome (untamed wilds, joyous, and haunted); the predominant biome (particularly the wooded area) was haunted.

It seemed like every time I turned around, someone or other was getting possessed.  the frequency was really quite high.  Quite a few woodcutters, hunters, and farmers (plant gatherers) were getting possessed too; about half the time while they were out in the woods.  The map ended up turning downhill: I christened one of my hunters "Werewolf Slayer" after her second kill.  She eventually became possessed during a hunt, couldn't complete, and went insane.  The werewolves took the opportunity to kill the dogs i had and slaugther some farmers.  Everyone was starving and complaining of thirst, and half the hill was ore - but no magma.  At the time I abandoned, I had about 9 legendary artifacts after about 3-4 years.  IIRC, only 1 was a non-possessed artifact.

Previously, possessions were extremely rare; most of the time I got Fey mood ("inspired" i guess; the 'regular' one where they mutter abotu what they need rather than sketch, and will become legendary in a skill), with the occasional withdraw from society.  When I made a second fortress in a terrifying biome (volcanic & Aquifer, for kicks) I had a similar result.  Very frequent possession of dwarves; one or two withdraw from society (compared to, at the time, 6 possessions) and no "inspired" fey mood.

It's my opinion (not substantiated fact) that the type of biome influences the type of Strange Mood you get, as well as possibly the frequency as well.

Your experience will vary; i'm interested to hear if anyone else has noticed any sort of correlation.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

The kind of biome may affect this (the possessed seems to be more often in haunted) but I'm not sure.
Only unhappy dwarves can have macabre/fell mood.

Why doesn't anyone read the wiki? It has frequency and all
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Strange_mood

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

One thing this points to is that the strange-mood timer must be counting down even while your population is too small to get moods, so as soon as enough peeps arrive, bam- mood.  Pretty much every fort I've had that got past 20 dwarves also got a mood within minutes of the last new immigrant arriving.  I would think the counter stops ticking when your population is below 20, but I guess not.  Could be worth suggesting.